Rim and tire swap work?

Tire and Wheel Discussion
42boxer

Rim and tire swap work?

Postby 42boxer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14

This may be a stupid question but my dad has a kia forte koup that came with gunmetal rims. I want to swap the rims and tires with my 3 for a little to see if i like the gunmetal look (the size and everything is right). My question is though that our cars but have TPMS will his work with mine and vise versa? Or will the system not function? Is it just a easy swap? Thanks

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14

you can swap the tpms sensors on the wheels. it shouldnt hurt anything unless you **** up one of the sensors.

if your talking about kia sensors working on a mazda and vice versa the answer is no.

edit: and yes it is an easy swap, if i remember correctly its either a 10mm or 12mm nut around the valve stem to remove the sensor. but be careful they might be brittle and can break if enough torque is applied

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14

Are you sure the size, offset, and so on are all the same?
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14

iani1.1 wrote:you can swap the tpms sensors on the wheels. it shouldnt hurt anything unless you **** up one of the sensors.

if your talking about kia sensors working on a mazda and vice versa the answer is no.

edit: and yes it is an easy swap, if i remember correctly its either a 10mm or 12mm nut around the valve stem to remove the sensor. but be careful they might be brittle and can break if enough torque is applied

Really? You have to dismount/remove the tire in order to remove the TPMS sensor. It's a box attached to the valve stem that sits INSIDE the wheel. It would be the case of trying to pull a square peg through a round hole to remove the TPMS through the valve stem hole- not gonna happen.

For reference:

Obviously the TPMS can't come out without dismounting/removing the tires and swapping them.

That being said, driving without the TPMS sensors isn't a big deal. I did on my 8 all the time with aftermarket wheels. You just get the annoying flashing light on the dash, that's it. Won't cause the car to go into limp mode or anything silly...

Then when you put your OEM wheels/tires back on, the system will recognize the sensors and read them properly. If this ends up being a permanent mod, however, I would swap the sensors.

iani1.1

its possible to leave the tire on. just deflate and break the bead. but then again if youre at a tire machine might as well remove the tire lol.

i was lazy while i was a tech so i would just break the bead and use a pry bar and move the bead of the tire down low enough to where i can reach and grab the broken sensor and secure with jump straps then remove it and the reverse way to install. also i would do this while the tire was on the car. also i got paid 1.0 while it took me about 3mins a tire. no need to rebalance since the tire didnt move out of its place. but as for low profile tires (anything below 45) its impossible unless your hardcore. lol

42boxer

Yeah i thought u have to dismount the tires to get the senors outs. Im just gonna swap it and if the lights on oh well i know there inflated lol.

Yeah the rims and tires are the exact same size in every dimension and the rim is made by the same company. I dont know bout the offset though. Ill look when we have them off. Thanks for all the answers guys!

iani1.1

42boxer wrote:Yeah i thought u have to dismount the tires to get the senors outs. Im just gonna swap it and if the lights on oh well i know there inflated lol.

Yeah the rims and tires are the exact same size in every dimension and the rim is made by the same company. I dont know bout the offset though. Ill look when we have them off. Thanks for all the answers guys!

theres a place close to me that charges $10/tire to dismount and mount tires. i dont remember the name of the place though.

42boxer

iani1.1 wrote:theres a place close to me that charges $10/tire to dismount and mount tires. i dont remember the name of the place though.

I would but im just swaping them temporaily to see if i like the look. Thanks

Return to “Tires and Wheels”