Well...no More Highways For Awhile

Tire and Wheel Discussion
Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

~Barn~ wrote:Indeed I did. It was a sale price, for the sake of full disclosure.

I remember...what are they normally?
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

Stealth01

Never mind. They're 128 each regularly, and Firestone is offering buy 3 get one free right now. But they're summers...great for the spring time, but I need at least all seasons for the winter months
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

Stealth01

AIM WO4 wrote:If you move to a different size, you can get them for less. Take the Tire Rack quote to AAFES and get them to match the price. Then you don't pay tax. I also go free mounting and balancing when I bought mine.

Example:
225/40-18 (bit smaller, waaay cheaper)
225/45-18 (a little bigger, still cheaper)
235/40-18 (a little smaller, still cheaper)

Sometimes I go down to the local Peerless and they are always cheaper than Discount or Big-O for my tires.

I was using 225 40 R18s in my searches. Didn't think about AAFES. Last time I checked, they didn't carry ANY tires for my MS6, but that was 2 years ago. I'll try them, too. And COSTCO.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote:Aaarrrggg....this is the point that I'd LIKE to type a long, all-caps, venting post about how my wife says I have to stick to $500 or less on tires, but I won't. Some people just DON'T get it.

Stealth01 wrote:I'll keep trying, but it pisses me off that she's going on a vacation to Cali, spending double what new tires will cost me, then telling me I have to be thrifty on tires. WTF? Double standards piss me off.

Psh... women ;)
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

Also, remember to add at least $60 onto anything you buy from TireRack because you're going to have to take them somewhere to get them installed which is usually at least $15/tire.

Dude, you need to put your foot down. Tires are one of the most important maintenance things on your car and she just needs to understand that it's going to run $600 or so every couple years to keep tires on it. I wouldn't even be driving around town on those tires you have on there now. You're just asking for a blowout and who knows if you'll be in the middle of heavy traffic when it happens. Just make her understand this is a 2-3 year investment and $100 over the course of 2-3 years isn't as big a deal as she's making it, and cheap tires usually don't last as long so you can present that argument as well that by skimping on $100 now, you may be needing another $500 set sooner than if you got better tires.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

They usually have a list that you can order from. And they price match at the BX. So you get the Tire Rack deal, without the extra shipping, etc. The AAFES.com site has all the sizes.

Stealth01 wrote:I was using 225 40 R18s in my searches. Didn't think about AAFES. Last time I checked, they didn't carry ANY tires for my MS6, but that was 2 years ago. I'll try them, too. And COSTCO.
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

Stealth01

erod550 wrote:Also, remember to add at least $60 onto anything you buy from TireRack because you're going to have to take them somewhere to get them installed which is usually at least $15/tire.

Discount tire = $40, base auto hobby shop = $32 with nitrogen, but yes, I factored that in.

erod550 wrote: Dude, you need to put your foot down. Tires are one of the most important maintenance things on your car and she just needs to understand that it's going to run $600 or so every couple years to keep tires on it. I wouldn't even be driving around town on those tires you have on there now. You're just asking for a blowout and who knows if you'll be in the middle of heavy traffic when it happens. Just make her understand this is a 2-3 year investment and $100 over the course of 2-3 years isn't as big a deal as she's making it, and cheap tires usually don't last as long so you can present that argument as well that by skimping on $100 now, you may be needing another $500 set sooner than if you got better tires.

Problem is, it's turning out to be an every YEAR investment. Bought the car in APril 08. Replaced the General Exclaims that came on it in Jul 09. 15 months and 10K miles on that set of tires.

Now the Eagle GTs are shot with 11K miles and 15 months on them.

That's what's pissing her off.

That's why I want to get the used Alpins for $500. If the tread is as good as the guy says, I should get three winters out of them. Then get something like the Primewells or some lightly used summers in April/May and hope to get 2-3 summers out of those. That way, I spend $800 total and get 2-3 years out of them, versus spending $700 and getting 15-17 months.

AIM WO4 wrote:They usually have a list that you can order from. And they price match at the BX. So you get the Tire Rack deal, without the extra shipping, etc. The AAFES.com site has all the sizes.

OK, I'll check with them MOnday.

Oh, and for anyone wondering, my alignment is fine. Checked several times. And the tire wear is pretty even, except for the shoulders, where I tend to wear them out quickly.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

bellalyssa

Stealth01 wrote:That's why I want to get the used Alpins for $500. If the tread is as good as the guy says, I should get three winters out of them.

Is the guy selling them in Parker? If so... I emailed him today about those tires....

tbot

Postby tbot » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

look at harder tires man, or a higher tread wear rating. So far the tires you've had are fairly low in that area, hence why they run out so quickly. Also look at getting a tired w/ a tread wear warranty. I know the GT's don't because of the compound they use in them being softer (aka stickier) than the other tire sizes. I think something in the high 400's to 500's would be better in this area.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stealth01

bellalyssa wrote:Is the guy selling them in Parker? If so... I emailed him today about those tires....

No, this guy is in the DTC. But if you buy those out from under me, I'm not below cutting brake lines. LOL.

JK...first come, first served.

tbot wrote:look at harder tires man, or a higher tread wear rating. So far the tires you've had are fairly low in that area, hence why they run out so quickly. Also look at getting a tired w/ a tread wear warranty. I know the GT's don't because of the compound they use in them being softer (aka stickier) than the other tire sizes. I think something in the high 400's to 500's would be better in this area.

The GTs had a 50K mile warranty, according to TireRack, and 40K according to DiscountTire.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

tbot

Postby tbot » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

^^ they don't dude...not from Goodyear's side on it...since they make it and all
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bellalyssa

Stealth01 wrote:No, this guy is in the DTC. But if you buy those out from under me, I'm not below cutting brake lines. LOL.

JK...first come, first served.

Nah, I wouldn't do that. I lowballed the guy selling the Alpin's in Parker. He wants $500 after a season of use, I told him I'd give him $350 since they've only got one more season in them and the compound is fairly soft which means more wear.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote:The GTs had a 50K mile warranty, according to TireRack, and 40K according to DiscountTire.

If they really do have that long of a warranty you should be going to them and getting some of that pro-rated money back.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0

2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Operator

Postby Operator » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:14

http://www.onlinetires.com/index.php Is where I got my A/S for my daily driver. I haven't found a place that beats their prices. And they most of the name brands along with others.
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

Stealth01

bellalyssa wrote:Nah, I wouldn't do that. I lowballed the guy selling the Alpin's in Parker. He wants $500 after a season of use, I told him I'd give him $350 since they've only got one more season in them and the compound is fairly soft which means more wear.

Yeah, the guy in DTC wants $500 too, but claims to have only put 1500 miles on them. HE has pics of two with a tire guage -- one has 10/32 and the other has 11/32. Guess we know which was on the front lol.

erod550 wrote:If they really do have that long of a warranty you should be going to them and getting some of that pro-rated money back.

Yeah, I am trying that through discount tire tomorrow, and if that fails, through the local GOodyear store.

Operator wrote:http://www.onlinetires.com/index.php Is where I got my A/S for my daily driver. I haven't found a place that beats their prices. And they most of the name brands along with others.

Thanks, I'll check that out. Looks like pretty good prices.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

Return to “Tires and Wheels”