Time to Mount Up?

Tire and Wheel Discussion
erod550

Postby erod550 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:14

$32/tire? That craziness. Big O will do it for $20/corner. Used to be $15 but they have raised their rates a little. Pretty sure that $20 includes the $1 or $2 for disposal. Even with the $80 for installation it's still cheaper to buy online and have them installed than to buy all 4 with installation locally.

I may hold off on putting the snow tires on now actually since the forecast is just rain now, no snow. Light snow and wet roads I can handle just fine in the Miata with the all-seasons.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:14

erod550 wrote:$32/tire? That craziness. Big O will do it for $20/corner. Used to be $15 but they have raised their rates a little. Pretty sure that $20 includes the $1 or $2 for disposal. Even with the $80 for installation it's still cheaper to buy online and have them installed than to buy all 4 with installation locally.

I may hold off on putting the snow tires on now actually since the forecast is just rain now, no snow. Light snow and wet roads I can handle just fine in the Miata with the all-seasons.

I thought about holding off a little more, but JUST in case, I put them on.

45 sidewall is a little softer than the 40s I had on, so toe-in isn't as quick, and cornering...SQUEEEEEEELL...but I'll be taking it easy on these things anyway.
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

chromal

Postby chromal » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote: My son and I took the MS6 to the Peterson AFB Auto Hobby Center, put it on a lift, and 90 minutes later, all four were mounted.

Oh, MAN. I was getting excited. For the longest time, I've wanted there to be a cheap place I could take a car and use their tools/lift cheaply with some services (like tire mount/balance). Then I realized you're describing a military base facility plebeians such as myself almost certainly may not use. Blah. Are there any civilian facilities out there with similar prices?

This is doubly-pressing as I have neither a garage nor a paved driveway... Not sure how well my floor jack will work in the dirt when it's wet out... It was pretty marginal while dry. Haha, oh well, I'll continue to play it by ear, as always..

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:14

I don't know of any civilian facilities like that, but any member of CMZC who's military or retired can get you into a base (Peterson, Fort Carson, Buckley all have auto hobby shops) as long as they're trained and current on the shop procedures.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

chromal

Postby chromal » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote:I don't know of any civilian facilities like that, but any member of CMZC who's military or retired can get you into a base (Peterson, Fort Carson, Buckley all have auto hobby shops) as long as they're trained and current on the shop procedures.

That's pretty excellent, actually, but I think my earlier 'almost certainly may not use' was a pretty poor choice of expression.

..though I guess, just ruminating on this a bit this morning, timeshare service-equipped garages sound pretty cool, but the need is incredibly niche, isn't it? It makes a lot of sense on a base, a lot of people both need a garage and know how to turn a wrench. :) It's pretty cool.

I'm probably going to embed some hard points in my dirt parking area somehow, possibly just buried bricks or cement blocks. Some day I *will* own a heated garage. :)

Return to “Tires and Wheels”