Kumho Ecsta ASX

Tire and Wheel Discussion
Huzer

Kumho Ecsta ASX

Postby Huzer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14

I had these put on the car back in September. I'll say their dry weather performance is solid, wet weather is ok, but cold/snow is not terribly great. In fact, I'd say they are a poor cold-weather all-season tire. I can easily spin the tires and chirp shifting into second (an automatic transmission) on a cold, dry day.

They aren't a bad tire, especially factoring the price, but cold weather performance sucks. Eagle GTs on the RX8 were obviously a much better all season.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14

i miss my eagle gt's :( (we've discussed this)

i'd note my continentals were spinning like mad in 4th gear (also an auto).
The roads were more slick than normal in the ranch this morning.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14

I concur on the Kumhos. I have the same tire on my 3 and it is possible to shift trough about 4th gear without moving. Good fun. No problems this morning though...never stopped, just never went over 55.

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14

I'd recommend Continental Extreme Contact DWS as the number 1 all season. Had experience with Khumo, Eagle GT and they don't come close to the Continental. I'd put my Continentals on-par with actual snow tires in snow, and equal if not better performance on dry and wet compared to the others.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14

mOOsE wrote:I'd recommend Continental Extreme Contact DWS as the number 1 all season. Had experience with Khumo, Eagle GT and they don't come close to the Continental. I'd put my Continentals on-par with actual snow tires in snow, and equal if not better performance on dry and wet compared to the others.

That's what I have on my old wheels, actually. Those are a very good snow/cold tire.

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14

I roll Eagle GTs on my 3, which are fine in the snow, and I just put Goodyear Triple-tread All-Seasons on my girl's 6... those things are incredible in the snow. Her ice grip makes me jealous :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"][SIZE="3"]2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT[/SIZE][/color]

[SIZE="1"][color="Blue"][color="Blue"]POWERTRAIN: GTX3067R . Cobb AP . Cobb 3-port . Autotech internals . HTP 3" intake . cp-e FMIC . Forge v1 BPV . TWM STS . CNT Turboback
NGK 1-step colder . Bosch 3-bar . cp-e xFlex™ RMM/TMM/PMM . CorkSport recirc tube . Kosmic EGR delete
SUSPENSION: K-Sport coilovers . Whiteline RSB . custom MS6 wheels
EXTERIOR: cp-e TowPlate . DDM Tuning 5000K HID low/fog
INTERIOR: Defi boost gauge/cp-e defroster mount . NRG shift knob . CorkSport LEDs[/color][/color][/SIZE]

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14

mOOsE wrote:I'd recommend Continental Extreme Contact DWS as the number 1 all season. Had experience with Khumo, Eagle GT and they don't come close to the Continental. I'd put my Continentals on-par with actual snow tires in snow, and equal if not better performance on dry and wet compared to the others.

i believe that is what I have on my car now... major complaint is the soft sidewalls.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14

Just before winter we got set of Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring all-seasons for my wife's Impreza. It was already a beast in the snow, even on the original all-seasons which were getting a bit low on tread. But now with these tires it goes through anything. AWD is a big factor, but even trying to spin them and get sideways, they are grippy. And the ride is decent and they don't seem to be very noisy either.

For my Miata I use studded Hankook iPikes, which are obviously amazing on snow and ice, but they are terrible on dry roads.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “Tires and Wheels”