Custom High Temp Paint?

Body kits, bling, lights
Zuhalter

Postby Zuhalter » Mon May 12, 2008 9:14

Can anyone point me in the direction of a paint shop that can make some custom (Black Cherry Mica) Hi temp paint?
The views discussed in this reply are not the views of the poster, the forum or anyone else. They are not meant to agree or disagree with anything contained in this post. If this post offended you in any way, you should quietly sob in the bathtub while wearing your mom's pantyhose.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:14

What are you going to paint?

ImageImage

Zuhalter

Calipers first, then possibly a little engine compartment work.

I just ordered a Nice sprayer for my compressor, so I need a reason to test it out. I have been wanting to do this for a while.
The views discussed in this reply are not the views of the poster, the forum or anyone else. They are not meant to agree or disagree with anything contained in this post. If this post offended you in any way, you should quietly sob in the bathtub while wearing your mom's pantyhose.

GR-8

You can just use regular auto paint for engine compartment stuff. That's all I used for my engine cover and it's the exact same as the body color.

As for the Calipers....IDK....Does Checkers have a purple caliper paint color. I know they have red and blue....I think yellow to.

There is a place I go to off of Broadway and evans. Don't know the exact street but it is a few blocks South of Evans on the West side of broadway. It's called Allen paint. I got 2 aersol cans a the left overs of the paint for around $50. Seeing you have a sprayer it'll be cheaper since you don't have have them ut it in cans. Ask the about high heat. They should know if just the regular paint is ok to use on calipers.

ImageImage

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Mon May 12, 2008 9:14

Probably normal paint would work fine. There's a girl on The Mazda Forum that paints her calipers with $.88 orange craft paint. She says it holds up and doesn't fade. The winter takes its toll on the calipers and she has to repaint each spring though.

From my experience, unless you put an aggressive brake compound in your calipers, the brakes won't heat up enough to alter the paint color. I had my calipers painted on my Saturn. Drove on the street, autoxed and even took it to the track with some aggressive street pads- no paint fade. Put some racing pads in and the paint look "burnt".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Zuhalter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ May 12 2008, 10:06 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=45715]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
You can just use regular auto paint for engine compartment stuff. That's all I used for my engine cover and it's the exact same as the body color.

As for the Calipers....IDK....Does Checkers have a purple caliper paint color. I know they have red and blue....I think yellow to.

There is a place I go to off of Broadway and evans. Don't know the exact street but it is a few blocks South of Evans on the West side of broadway. It's called Allen paint. I got 2 aersol cans a the left overs of the paint for around $50. Seeing you have a sprayer it'll be cheaper since you don't have have them ut it in cans. Ask the about high heat. They should know if just the regular paint is ok to use on calipers.[/b]

Thanks for the paint shop name. I can't use any standard Purple paint...it has to be an exact match. I am way too much of a perfectionist. :(

I've never actually used the Sprayer...so it will be a learning experience! If Aerosol cans aren't too expensive I may do that to be safe.

I also have too look into getting some custom vinyls done for the calipers also.

GR-8

Oh and if the shop isn't South of Evans turn around and go North of Evans.

Edit. They are 1.5 blocks North of Evans West side of Broadway.

ImageImage

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14

Two words....Powder Coating. Most powder coat shops can mix your color and it last longer than anything. It's heat and chip resistant too. Most of the high end boat manufacturers went away from anodizing the aluminum hardware on the boats to powder coating because it's pretty much bullet proof.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14

But then there's the downtime associated with powder coating. And you'll need to disassemble your calipers to remove the rubber piston seal and other rubber bits. Part of the coating process involves an oven which will melt the seals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4

mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14

Small price to pay for quality. :2cents3fo:
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

Zuhalter

Postby Zuhalter » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14

I've actually been a little hesitant to mess with the brakes too much. Any input on how hard it would be to disassemble them? Also, what kind of downtime would be involved?

Thank you for all the advice so far!

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14

I would say you get them off one evening. The night before you plan on taking them to the guy for coating. Make sure he isn't busy that day ahead of time and set a kinda appointment. Depending on how busy he is your looking at probably 1 to 2 days. This is just a guestimate from trying to remember how long it took to do the whole from on my bros 72 olds and a couple small peices.

ImageImage

Return to “Exterior Modifications”