License Plates

Body kits, bling, lights
bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

Is it illegal to drive without your front license plates on in Colorado??? I just took mine off and it looks so much better without it on....
B)

METHLAB

Postby METHLAB » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

I got a ticket for it at DIA while parked. My tags were also expired at the time so they fucked me, could been why. But yes, I believe they are supposed to be on. I ain't doing it.

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

Yeppers, its like a $65 ticket have not had one since my last car but its an easy excuse to pull you over. They usually will let you go, but depends on there mood that day. It can give them a reason to pull you over if they suspect you have been drinking, happened to my friend and he got a DUI. I have heard of poeple putting it up on there dash but not sure if that counts?? For me it was usually the State Patrol, and Denver PD......I got two tickets while parked at a meter in downtown. There was something about a stow away front plate device I read about, if I can find a link I will post it.....
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

Bummer... okay, thanks for the feedback. I just put it back on :huh:

4doord

Postby 4doord » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bmwzoom @ Jun 19 2008, 08:38 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53279]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Is it illegal to drive without your front license plates on in Colorado??? I just took mine off and it looks so much better without it on....
B)[/b]

I didn't have one on the civic for about 6 years and never got pulled over or a ticket for that. Not to say you couldn't but its rare.

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

Yep it is... but i don't care very much. No front plate is the way to go.
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

firestoned

Postby firestoned » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

man, you guys are REBELS....with no cause

ZoomPrincess

Postby ZoomPrincess » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

i'm going to be putting my front plate on tomorrow... but down on the grille, i can't say it will be there very long, but for now.

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (firestoned @ Jun 19 2008, 09:41 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53294]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
man, you guys are REBELS....with no cause[/b]

Thats right biatch!
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MS3_Mafia

Postby MS3_Mafia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14

Front plates are ghey............... looking!
2007 Mazdaspeed3 Sport</span>
-Mazdaspeed Short Ram Intake
-HKS SSQV Bov
-Tein S-Tech Springs
-225/40/18 Nitto Neo Gen Tires on RX-8 Wheels

<span style="color:#FF0000">http://www.JTuned.com

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MS3_Mafia @ Jun 20 2008, 02:27 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53333]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Front plates are ghey............... looking![/b]

+1
Front plates just give them a better target for their radar guns.

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mOOsE @ Jun 20 2008, 07:19 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53338]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
+1
Front plates just give them a better target for their radar guns.[/b]

Actually, it's a better target for the laser guns. Radar will bounce off the rest of the metal body of your car.

Ever notice how the radiator on a Corvette is angled down? Part of that is for packaging and part is for radar. Since the fiberglass body on a Corvette does not reflect radar that well, the radar passes through it and hits the next big chunk of metal- the radiator. With it angled down, the radar doesn't get reflected back to the gun very well and it makes it difficult to get a good reading on a Corvette. At least, that was true for radar units of years passed- the new units "might" be good enough not to be affected by that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mOOsE @ Jun 20 2008, 07:19 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53338]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
+1
Front plates just give them a better target for their radar guns.[/b]

That is exactly why Colorado is one of the few states requiring a front plate. I can't speak for the whole state here, but not having one in the Springs it's yet another reason for the cops to pull you over and harrass you even if you gave them no other probable cause.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14

Havent i read this thread before? :lol:
2013 FRS

Zuhalter

Postby Zuhalter » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheNewBlack @ Jun 20 2008, 10:24 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53387]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Havent i read this thread before? :lol:[/b]

I was thinking the same thing!!

As stated, it IS illegal. You can get a ticket for it, there is a fine but no points. State Patrol will ALMOST ALWAYS pull you over for it. They use it as a way to pull you over and run a warrant check. Typically you will get a warning especially if you have a fairly clean record. Most agencies don't pull you over for it. Denver ignores it, but the "meter maids" will get you for it everytime.
Also, putting it in your windshield is still not legal. In fact, State Patrol will pull you over for that for a few reasons...Colorado Statute says the plate must be affixed to the front of the car and not loose, moving, etc. Also, putting it in your windshield can net you an obstructed view ticket much like a cracked windshield will (Another thing the State Patrol uses to pull you over).

On a side note, several years ago I was driving to New Mexico and was literally pulled over 6 times for no front plate. I was let off each time, but I think it helped that each time I got pulled over I showed them the business card from the previous Trooper.
The views discussed in this reply are not the views of the poster, the forum or anyone else. They are not meant to agree or disagree with anything contained in this post. If this post offended you in any way, you should quietly sob in the bathtub while wearing your mom's pantyhose.

Return to “Exterior Modifications”