Tinted tails..

Body kits, bling, lights
Number2

Postby Number2 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14

This is what my old car's tails looked like before

This is tint applied to the exterior. Image

If you get a fix it ticket, you can have it removed. If you feel it's too dark or even too light, you can easily have it redone. These are the advantages to having tint done over painting.
"Littering, and?..."

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14

^ Thats everyones point exactly. Reversible, changeable, these things will be important when it comes time to trade that 3 in for something fast. ;)
2013 FRS

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14

Number2 wrote:If you get a fix it ticket...

From what I was told, as long as the darkness doesn't effect the ability to see your taillights/brakelights, etc. then it is legal:)
one and one makes two, together we are free

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14

That's what I was told... I wonder IF there is a "law" posted somewhere. I like definitive guidance. :eek:

kingtut wrote:From what I was told, as long as the darkness doesn't effect the ability to see your taillights/brakelights, etc. then it is legal:)
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

tbot

Postby tbot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14

but i thought his 3 was already fast ;)

Number2

Postby Number2 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14

There was one tricked out scion in our club that would have to touch up their taillight paint twice a year to get it looking how they wanted it. The sun causes fading as the paint was applied on the outside. But that is to be expected. I wouldn't trust myself with a rattle can, so I had my friend tint it for $50. You can also do cool stuff like trim out the reverse lights (like pictured above) as long as you have a steady hand :)

And do you really want to remove the tail light casing to paint on the inside. You can bake it together but I'm not sure if it'll have that OE fitment - I've never tried it...just seen many failed attempts on headlights that have moisture build-up after the job is done.

But on the flip side, there are those that have success with this. As long as you're comfortable doing it, go for it!
"Littering, and?..."

Silkwyrm

my 2 cents

Postby Silkwyrm » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:14

Having worked in autobody in a shop that chose to change paint brands while I was there, we were able to get a lot of information from company reps. So I can guarentee that any of the major paint brands, have a very good UV blocking clear coat. It's this same clear coat that should be used when tinting tails. On the inside is great since you can add more UV protection by spraying straight clear on the outside. Which incidently is my recomendation for older cars with sun damaged lights. I sanded down my headlights to remove the yellowed plastic then had it clear coated. Looks like brand new and wont yellow again for a long time. (much better option than plastic polish since that wont last near as long.) Technically tinting with paint is reversible. In the same way you repair sun damaged plastic but takes a good deal more effort.

rmeeker13

Postby rmeeker13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:14

Hell i just painted my taillights...love em. VHT Night Shades paint.
Im screwed if i have to change them tho! I recently got pulled over for liscense plate covers and they didn't say shit about my taillights!
GT28-COBB AP-COBB SRI-TURBOSMART EBOOST2 EBC-JBR SSP-CP-E DP-CP-E INLET-CP-E 3'' CB-ETS IC-DNP MANI-TIAL 44MM EWG-OEM BPV-AWR RRM-SURE DREADNAUGHT-EIBACH SL SPRINGS-KONIG ZERO'S-GREDDY OCC-NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Exterior Modifications”