Paint needed anyone?

Body kits, bling, lights
PXRdriFT

Postby PXRdriFT » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:14

I'm thinking that I want the rims satin black. Here are pics of each wheel.

Two wheels do have some curb damage.

Chance

Postby Chance » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:14

Yeah, that will show through a little bit, even with black. Best bet is to have them smoothed out a bit (you can even do it yourself) and then get them coated.

Let me know if you would be interested in doing this, I was going up to my powdercoaters tomorrow and can talk to him more now that I have pictures
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="5"]Lovely Idol Paintworks[/SIZE]
303-362-3632

Silkwyrm

Need some info.

Postby Silkwyrm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14

Chance,
I'm hoping to have my MX-3 ready for paint sometime this summer. I used to be a body man, so I will do all the bodywork, removal of lighting/trim, scuffing etc. All I would need is a final wipe down, masking and what is probably a tricoat paint job. Looking at the Brazen orange color from the Pontiac GTO or a similar candy gold. I will probably want to sand out the orange peel after so perhaps a second clear coat would be good. I realize that could be 4 coats. If so would this be too thick to go over the existing paint? I will probably spray the jams, under the hood and edges myself. With all that in mind can you give me an idea of what you would charge? Also curious what brand of paint your using?

Thanks

Chance

Postby Chance » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14

As I'm sure you're aware, that color is absolutely the most expensive color you could buy, even more than Ed's rx8 color which I almost passed out when I looked at the color mix.

In all honesty, I will do the pain how you wish, BUT (being a body man you know this already) removal of the doors to paint the jams and body all at once is the only way to ensure full coverage and delete the risk of burning though the clear.

Let me know your thoughts on this, I like as much info as possible before I discuss numbers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

303-362-3632

Silkwyrm

Edging

Postby Silkwyrm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14

Back in the day when I was working in a body shop, I did the body work and prep for paint I wasn't actually the painter. However because I expressed an interest in painting, the Owner had me doing what they called edging, basically painting the parts of the cars that people really didn't look at but that still needed to be painted. I was taught that by painting those parts and bringing the paint around to the front edge of the door and feathering it out on the front when our painter painted over it there wouldn't be a problem. Since overspray would blow past the front edge of these parts anyway. Since I've only worked in one shop I dont know if that was really a good practice. The paint jobs always looked good, but then this was a collision repair shop not a custom shop so we never color sanded. If you think there would be a problem cutting through the clear. Perhaps I could spray the base and intermediate coats and leave the clear coat to you. I just really need to save as much cash as I can, considering the price of the paint as you noted. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

Chance

Postby Chance » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:14

The problem is the base has a recoat window so leaving the clear to me really wouldnt work at all.

I can work on getting a color mixed almost exact to that color, but no matter what tricoats are always expensive and orange, red, yellow with pearls are the most expensive always. I understand saving money, trust me, but the chemical makeup of paint doesn't work like that so basically everything has to be painted at once or you will end up spending more money to fix it later.

The main thing is, if I literally do not have to do anything other than buy the paint and spray it for you, it won't cost very much at all compared to having to take it apart prep it and do body work AND paint it. Just the cost of the materials is what sucks about this color choice. I will call on the pricing for the mix tomorrow or Friday, however, I will need to see what it is that you will need painted before I can give you a figure. Remember, tricoat means one more stage during painting so it becomes 6-8 coats of base rather than 3-4 and time will be added to the process.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

303-362-3632

Chance

Postby Chance » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:14

Here is another car I painted the fenders and aero on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

303-362-3632

Silkwyrm

recoat window

Postby Silkwyrm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:14

Forgot about the recoat window. I guess our painter always got the parts to paint within a few hours of me working on them. Crap! Ok, assuming you have to do all the masking and spraying, on the attached car, and I guess remove the fenders to spray the top part of them, the doors for the jams, and the hood to get the underside. If you can give me a ballpark estimate that would be cool.
Attachments
IMG_0009.jpg

Chance

Postby Chance » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:14

I didnt get a chance to call on the paint today, but just adventuring a guess here, I would go ahead and say between $250-$500 for the paint, the best thing you can do to lower the cost for me to do it is have everything pulled like door handles, mirrors, spoilers, moldings etc and then the headlights, taillights, etc really aren't a big deal. The biggest thing I ask is to have everything you want sprayed prepped and ready, I will go over the whole thing previous to spraying it as well and make sure its ready because two people looking something over is always better.

Let me think about it some more before I give you a final price.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

303-362-3632

Chance

Postby Chance » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14

I am going to give this thread a bit of a bump, I painted a few things because I was bored not too long ago haha

I did the rear wheels, front wheels will be done sometime this week

Did the power steering rack, a few things on this car are silver/hks purple so it fits.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

303-362-3632

Chance

Postby Chance » Mon May 03, 2010 9:14

Going to give this a bump, I am actually leaving sometime this summer, so if anyone needs anything done let me know now.

A few more examples of cars I have done, I did this when I worked at Vitesse Autosports
MR2 Carbon trunk custom paint work
Skyline trunk, tricoat

And this is a friends car I am painting in the next couple weeks

So, if anyone needs anything done, do not hesitate to call or PM or email or whatever, my phone number is in my sig.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

303-362-3632

deepSpeedMS3

Postby deepSpeedMS3 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:14

leaving for good? where?
B) deepSpeed MS3 B)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. EdgeAutosport.com [size=100]- [/SIZE]- [size=100]Supplying parts to all major imports [/SIZE] - Locally owned in Colorado

Chance

Postby Chance » Tue May 04, 2010 9:14

I am heading back to California, I have a job opportunity out there that I would like to follow up with.

Not to mention, more driving time on more tracks year round.....I really can't argue with that
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

303-362-3632

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14

Yo Chance, can you think of any way to repair a clearcoat, aside from completely respraying? I've got a couple big clearcoat holes on the roof of my BMW...and they're peeling...I just want to stop it from getting any worse.

Operator

Postby Operator » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14

If I take pictures of the areas, I want touched up, can you give me a rough quote?
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

Return to “Exterior Modifications”