Check this out!

Body kits, bling, lights
RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:14

I'm not even close to a fiberglass expert. It isn't all that hard to repair stuff like that. just go to the auto parts store and get some fiberglass mat and resin. cut the mat a little larger than you need and brush resin onto it. if you make it extra thick, you can always go back and sand it. Finish it with a little bondo to smooth it out.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

mog1017

Postby mog1017 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:14

I'll buy the beer if someone wants to come over and help me! :D Pizza if they want to help me sand the pieces down too! :lol:

Except I don't have a garage, just a balcony....:rolleyes:

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:14

we can work something out. It will be a month at least before I can make it up there though.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

mog1017

I need to grab the girl's car so I can throw the pieces in the trunk and run them around to get estimates. Everyone has told me so far $500-1k including installation if they need to do a "build-up". I don't really think that these pieces need that much work on them though, I think maybe the people would just rather give me a high number and be able to bring it down than a low number and have to raise it.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:14

What no garage? I was gonna offer to come over and help take the front bumper off and help you fit it but forget that now, no garage. If you wanna do this in 3 days I can swing buy and help a little.

The little cracks by the side markers.... I hate to tell you but after they get fixed I'm more than positive that they will show through later on. My 8 has been backed into several times and fixed. The next time it gets hit I'm buying a new one. Used to be a urethane bumper and now is 90% fiberglass. The area by the side markers still has little hair line cracks showning through and theres nothing you can do about that. That area gets a lot of stress.

I'm not sure how expensive the paint is for the Ti Grey but for the Winning Blue and Aurora Blue it was expensive. That is what will cost the most. If it is expensive price will go up. It doesn't seem like much work but to do it right and fix the side marker it will be.

I use Deans Auto Body out in Lakewood, on Mississippi, just east of Peirce, Between Wads and Sheridan. They have done everything to my car from first body kit install to Graphics to fixing the front bumper a million times over. Sometimes 3 days before a car show. They've cut the fins on the rear bumper so they are higher and even changed the entire color of the car to the Aurora Blue.

ImageImage

mog1017

Yeah, the garage thing kills me too. This is the first time I haven't had a garage in the last 8 years. I tried calling Dean's because I was able to get the car today to be able to transport the parts, and he won't look at them today. So I guess, next week I try again? And my 8 is sunlight silver. I hope that wont be too expensive. I suppose we will see. Maybe I will get the bumper or the skirts done for now, then do the other piece next month. Might look a little funky though in the interim...

GR-8

mog1017 wrote:Yeah, the garage thing kills me too. This is the first time I haven't had a garage in the last 8 years. I tried calling Dean's because I was able to get the car today to be able to transport the parts, and he won't look at them today. So I guess, next week I try again? And my 8 is sunlight silver. I hope that wont be too expensive. I suppose we will see. Maybe I will get the bumper or the skirts done for now, then do the other piece next month. Might look a little funky though in the interim...

Now that I think about it he did an RX-8 right before mine. It was a winning blue also. He lives nearby. Well the guy trashed the kit (All Veilside). He drove it during a bad winter and I guess drove into those stupid ditches they have in neighborhood cross streets for water drainage. It was probably lined with a foot of ice. I remember hitting my bumper in one of those that same year. Ice on the streets and sidewalks for months. Front bumper was cracked from top to bottom. I think Dean has the whole kit and was planning to fix it and sell it. Might just be the front and rear bumpers, no side skirts. I'm not sure. But if you need a rear bumper you should ask him about it. It might still be sitting in the back of the shop. Let him know Jimmy with the Blue RX-8 sent you. You might speak to his brother Chris if he's not there.

ImageImage

mog1017

Interesting....I'm going to have to look up that rear and see what it looks like...

GR-8

mog1017 wrote:Interesting....I'm going to have to look up that rear and see what it looks like...

Just take a look at my car. LOL. Same rear bumper as that one. Here is a link to some pics when I got the car painted. This was last year. Better pics of the rear are at the end.

http://www.coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5359

ImageImage

mog1017

I gotta ask. How did you make the foglights work?

GR-8

The fog lights... The guy at Deans that does all the body work made some brackets for them. His name is Yale. He does amazing work. My brother got an 07 Cadilac DTS that was hit hard in the back. Whole trunk was basically pushed up and into the rear window. He pulled all the metal straight. You can't even tell that it was totaled.

ImageImage

mog1017

Dang...It looks like the $$$ are piling up! Yeah, It's starting to look like doing it one at a time until mid January is going to be my best bet.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14

mog1017 wrote:Dang...It looks like the $$$ are piling up! Yeah, It's starting to look like doing it one at a time until mid January is going to be my best bet.

Yeah. It's not cheap to do a body kit. Especially if you can't do the body work and painting yourself. If you get a low quote on doing everything I'd be cautious of that shop. You do get what you pay for. Look at some of the cars that they have there and what they have done to them. I'd stay away from "Name Brand" Shops for custom work like this. They are ok to deal with for insurance jobs but for anything else I wouldn't use them. Make sure whatever shop your taking it to has done bodykits and other custom jobs before.

Remember that you will also be without a car for atleast a week. Also I wouldn't do everything over a long period of time. Do everything at once. You don't want to do the front bumper then 3 weeks later the side skirts than some time after that the back bumper. Weather, humidity, ect all play a roll in how the paint will come out. You will most likely have different paint jobs if you do everything spread out. Any good shop will be able to match the paint regardless but it makes it that much simpler for a shop to give you the best and consistent paint job when everything is done at once.

ImageImage

mog1017

Postby mog1017 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14

GR-8 wrote:Yeah. It's not cheap to do a body kit. Especially if you can't do the body work and painting yourself. If you get a low quote on doing everything I'd be cautious of that shop. You do get what you pay for. Look at some of the cars that they have there and what they have done to them. I'd stay away from "Name Brand" Shops for custom work like this. They are ok to deal with for insurance jobs but for anything else I wouldn't use them. Make sure whatever shop your taking it to has done bodykits and other custom jobs before.

Remember that you will also be without a car for atleast a week. Also I wouldn't do everything over a long period of time. Do everything at once. You don't want to do the front bumper then 3 weeks later the side skirts than some time after that the back bumper. Weather, humidity, ect all play a roll in how the paint will come out. You will most likely have different paint jobs if you do everything spread out. Any good shop will be able to match the paint regardless but it makes it that much simpler for a shop to give you the best and consistent paint job when everything is done at once.

Yeah, you're right. I can wait til mid-January. I'm just excited! But I really don't want anything to come out with the possibility of looking bad. I will talk to Dean on Monday morning. Maybe if he holds onto the parts for a couple weeks to be able to do as he has time, that might be better as well. And I am going to talk to him about the rear bumper. In the meantime, I can always concentrate on getting CMZC hoodies produced! BTW, can you hop over to that thread? I asked you a question over there. ;)

Oh, and P.S.S., which else should I do next month, AP or exhaust? And local or MM tune? Lol, sorry for all the questions, but after reading about your 8, you are my SME (subject matter expert)! Well, and chickenwafer, but I haven't really been properly introduced to him yet...

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14

mog1017 wrote:Yeah, you're right. I can wait til mid-January. I'm just excited! But I really don't want anything to come out with the possibility of looking bad. I will talk to Dean on Monday morning. Maybe if he holds onto the parts for a couple weeks to be able to do as he has time, that might be better as well. And I am going to talk to him about the rear bumper. In the meantime, I can always concentrate on getting CMZC hoodies produced! BTW, can you hop over to that thread? I asked you a question over there. ;)

Oh, and P.S.S., which else should I do next month, AP or exhaust? And local or MM tune? Lol, sorry for all the questions, but after reading about your 8, you are my SME (subject matter expert)! Well, and chickenwafer, but I haven't really been properly introduced to him yet...

Yeah I had my kit sitting in my garage for 6 months before I got it on. Most of that was waiting for the INGS+ front bumper to be imported but it was worth the wait. Dean will probably let you keep the stuff there. It will give him time to prep and do all the fiberglass work. Then you can leave him the car when you are ready for fitment and paint. He'd probably want some sort of down payment though. Leaving the parts there for a month though depends on how much room he has in the shop to store them till then. He would probably need the car there though to do any work seeing as they need to fit it first and see where fitment issues are. Especially where your cracks are at. (Don't quote me on everything though.)

LOL.... Chickenwafer will be of great help to you. If you want sound right now go for the exhaust. Are you thiniking Custom or a specific brand.

If you want a little more power and reliability get the AP. Just an FYI, Cobb doesn't make APs for n/a cars anymore. So if you do get one buy it used. Make sure you get a good deal and skip the MM tune. It's best to get it done locally then through e-mail. Chickenwafer can hook you up on that front.

ImageImage

Return to “Exterior Modifications”