Manual Transmission Remote Start

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

Anyone know somewhere that will do the wiring for a manual transmission remote start? I am having an alarm installed today and the shop thats doing it says theyre not legally allowed to install these. In case anyone is wondering I went with the Code SRT-9000 alarm.
2013 FRS

Billman

Postby Billman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that will do it. Nobody want's the liability of someone sending their car through a garage wall.

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

Randy our cars will auto kill in the case of it starting in gear.. just an fyi
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

Billman

Postby Billman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

^^ duly noted ^^

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speed Racer @ Aug 8 2008, 06:26 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=59657]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Randy our cars will auto kill in the case of it starting in gear.. just an fyi[/b]

Is that before or after the car lunges forward?

ImageImage

Rich

Postby Rich » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

After. But with the hand brake engaged, it won't be very far.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich @ Aug 8 2008, 07:07 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=59660]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
After. But with the hand brake engaged, it won't be very far.[/b]

Ah yes. But if your hand brake needs adjustment like mine and you don't know it. Eeeek.

Just leave it in nuetral everytime you get out of the car. Make it a habbit. Ignition off, key out, Nuetral, H-Brake, Get outta the car, Arm vehicle.

ImageImage

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

I see! Thanks for the info guys...I won't be doing that then! Josh what kind of alarm do you have?
2013 FRS

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

It can be done safely with a few magnetic switches. I did it on a few cars when I was installing full time. Basically you have to make a failsafe with the magnetic switches by positioning them around the shifter. If the shifter is in any gear, it triggers a relay that disables the autostart. That way even if you forget to set the handbrake and leave it in gear, the car will never jump forward or drive through your house, because it wont start in the first place. You can add a backup failsafe by installing a mag switch in the hand brake as well, so if it's not set, it does exactly the same thing as the mag switches in the shifter. The last time I did this trick was in a turbo MR2, but Iv'e done them on a Corrado, many integra's and a couple cavaliers. It's not that difficult, just time consuming.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:14

From a thread last year on my forum:

Originally posted by dommo_g;35048
Nobody will install a remote start on a manual tranny. Not any shop anyway. The only exception is if there is an alarm made specifically for remote start on manuals, foolproof. Last I checked there was only 1, and I don't remember the model. There may be more out there. You can find someone that would probably do it for you, but I wouldn't recommend it, UNLESS the alarm had a turbo timer function that was ALWAYS active. No matter how good you think you are, one day you WILL start it, and it will be in gear. I'm a very thourough person, and I NEVER leave my car in gear when I park. BUT...

Back when I used to love my 98 coupe, I put a Clifford Matrix alarm, remote start on it. I had Quality Auto Sound install the alarm, but they would NOT install the remote start portion of it. That part I did myself. The Clifford has lots of triggers and aux outputs, one of which is intended to deactivate a factory alarm before remote starting, it was a pulse that lasted for a brief moment before starting the car. I used that, wired it to a relay and used it to close the clutch pedal switch circuit, because as you know, the car won't start without the clutch pedal pushed down. That's one obstacle. The other was wiring a switch to the e-brake, so that the remote start wouldn't activate unless the brake was engaged. I also wired a toggle so that I could turn off the remote start function whenever I chose to. I had it all figured out, the only thing I couldn't figure out was how to rig up some sort of switch to tell the alarm whether or not the car was in gear. For this reason, I had to be extra aware to NEVER leave the car in gear, which wasn't a problem since that was my habit anyway.

Took a trip to Vegas. Had the car parked in the garage at the MGM. Walked out to the car, hit the start button, and that mother fucker lunged forward and bumped a Honda Accord that was parked in front of me. Whoops. :owned:

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14

I researched the remote starts that claim to be for manual tranmission cars, they only have a snesor for the parking brake. So it still isn't failsafe. I thought it would be something high tech, but unfortunately it's not.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

firestoned

Postby firestoned » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14

Randy, Im having Bryan at MHSD install the Autopage RS-1000 in my car next week, (with remote start) from what he says, its a top notch alarm...and he will obviously wire it to a manual transmission

EDIT: Sorry, just saw how old this thread was...nevermind

MHSD

Postby MHSD » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14

There is also a brand I am looking into that is built for Manual transmission Rmt Starts.
Team MHC
Image Dynamics Sound Team Team Audison
Team Stinger
Mile High Sound Designs*Eclipse Tinting*Mac Autosports*Performace Wheel & Tire

</SPAN></SPAN>

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:14

I think Compustar used to make an alarm for MT cars. It's basically a turbo timer function to make sure the car isn't in gear when you get out of it.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:14

Another problem... You won't want to apply your handbrake during very cold weather. They don't always disenguage cleanly. And that's when you'd probably want the remote start the most! LOL
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

Return to “Interior Modifications”