Useless Cup Holders!

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:14

I'm still messing around with this. Seems my fabrication skills aren't the best. Actually, screw the skills, I just can't figure out how to properly build the damn thing! Stupid little curves!!

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX8chic @ Dec 20 2007, 10:33 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=14914]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
That's one thing I miss about my 6 is the storage bin in the dash uuugghh!..so convenient..that was my trash bin :lol:[/b]

:lol: trash bin....
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

Have you attempted to cut it out yet. Maybe I can help... with the figureing out how to build it. I'd rather you do the cutting. I always have a fear of doing something for someone and I screw it up. I can help with the figuring though.

ImageImage

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14

I've already chopped it out of the spare console, and made a piece for the base. I just can't figure out how to build the sides and what material to use. I've never built a curved box before.

GR-8

How about making the sides and base out of mesh. When you get the shape you want you could fiberglass or glue the mesh to the center counsel let it dry and fiberglass the rest in?.

ImageImage

Huzer21

I may try that. Makes sense to me. I've never done any fiberglass work before. I was going to try and make a model out of wood, but that isn't working out so well.

GR-8

Yup I haven't done anything with fiberglass either. The body man me and my Bro go to is like a fiberglass expert. If I'm down that way I may ask him what you can do. I'm pretty sure the mesh thing could work. Just make the mesh a little larger than the box because the layers although it won't be too thick, will shrink the box space you have.

ImageImage

Huzer21

What's made it more interesting is that the cup holders themselves are basically the base of the front portion of the console. It would've been simpler had it been a box I could've made a mold around. Oh well. I'm sure it'll get done eventually. Maybe I'll learn something doing this. Haha.

GR-8

I'm not understanding this. can you post up or Pm some pics of the holder? Please forgive. I havn't seen the inside of my baby since Christmas Eve.

ImageImage

Huzer21

Sure, I'll go snap some pics.

Huzer21

Pics:

Console with cupholders removed:

Cupholders:

Base of the "new" center console bin.

Bottom of the cupholders.

GR-8

I see what you mean now. You could wrap mesh around the plastic part of the base (top of cup hoders) so you have the same shape as the top and glue the mesh to the side wall of the center counsel before you fiberglass. You should use a stiff mesh though so it retains shape better when your doing everything.

Come to think of it I have some mesh left over from when I re-did my Mesh screens in my bumpers. I'd have to get to the Bud's muffler to pick it up though.

ImageImage

Return to “Interior Modifications”