Useless Cup Holders!

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

So those with the RX-8 already know about the useless cup holders directly behind the shifter. I always put anything in the back cupholders, otherwise I can't shift when there are drinks in the forward cup holders. This is where it gets interesting...

What I want to do is just cut the molded-in cupholders out (would've been easier if it was an assembly, but it's actually one big molded piece into the entire center console.) Then, I just want to make that area a large storage bin, hopefully keeping it looking as stock as possible. Any ideas on how to fab something together The area pictured is what I'm talking about.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

The best bet is to mold it out on fiberglass.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer21

I'll probably do something like that. That's where I'm going to put the ECON controller for the Cusco coilovers.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

I only have that problem with Taco bell sized drinks or if they are in the most front cup spot. I really don't ahve a problem since when I get Fast food I drive 8 blocks back to my house.

I agree with the fiberglass. I'd like to see how it turns out when it's done.

ImageImage

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ Oct 17 2007, 11:42 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6075]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I only have that problem with Taco bell sized drinks or if they are in the most front cup spot. I really don't ahve a problem since when I get Fast food I drive 8 blocks back to my house.

I agree with the fiberglass. I'd like to see how it turns out when it's done.[/b]

I'm the same way...I guess I'd just rather have the larger storage bin (kind of like in the 6) then hold a couple of drinks every once in a while. I don't think my cd changer will be here by the weekend, so I'll wait until next weekend to pull out the console and mock it up. Gotta measure before I go cutting stuff outta there. I think to keep it looking seamless, I might just carpet the interior of the box when I get it done, depends on how it looks.

RX-7 Chris

you might want to put vinyl in there so it is easier to clean

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7 Chris @ Oct 17 2007, 11:58 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6084]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
you might want to put vinyl in there so it is easier to clean[/b]

I may, but I don't plan on really putting anything in there that would spill...prob just some CDs/Phone/etc. I'll just have to see how it looks once I start fabbing it up.

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

The cup holders in my Protege suck as well. Mine are forward of the shifter and below the HVAC controls. My my automatic shifter, I can't put it in park with a Taco Bell cup in there. Plus you have to be careful while putting the cup in the holder so that you don't catch the trim around the HVAC controls and pop the lid off your cup. That sucks! A cup looses alot of its rigidity when the top is suddenly removed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

RX-7 Chris

Everyone complains about their cup holders. One didn't even come with my car. You never realize how much you miss them until there is none. [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

My Car Blog

ZoomPrincess

Postby ZoomPrincess » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7 Chris @ Oct 17 2007, 01:21 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6122]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Everyone complains about their cup holders. One didn't even come with my car. You never realize how much you miss them until there is none. [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img][/b]

I have 6 cup holders in my ride... 2 of them I couldn't even use when I had the car seat in the middle of the back seat.. But now that that is moved to the side, I have 6 cup holders that I can actually use!

back to thread- I agree that the RX-8 cupholders were the worst. I always had to hold the drinks when we went to Taco bell or anything like that. Sucks for the passenger. haha

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CeXy7 @ Oct 17 2007, 01:26 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6123]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I have 6 cup holders in my ride... 2 of them I couldn't even use when I had the car seat in the middle of the back seat.. But now that that is moved to the side, I have 6 cup holders that I can actually use!

back to thread- I agree that the RX-8 cupholders were the worst. I always had to hold the drinks when we went to Taco bell or anything like that. Sucks for the passenger. haha[/b]

And that's why they're going away! I always end up stashing gum/sunglasses/phone/camera/etc in the cupholders, so I might as well make it a useful bin.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CeXy7 @ Oct 17 2007, 01:26 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6123]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>

back to thread- I agree that the RX-8 cupholders were the worst. I always had to hold the drinks when we went to Taco bell or anything like that. Sucks for the passenger. haha[/b]

I wouldn't say that they're the worst. My cousins eclipse You onlly have one and usually if I drive it like her I use it for my phone. The second holder is next to it but you have to lift the lid of the center consule to get to it and its shallow. No sharp turns when in use.

I like that they're deep in the 8.

My sis mustang doesn't ge in the way cause it's an auto.

My moms lexus is just like the protege. I can't get the drink without hanging the radio station or hitting some other function.

My dads '87 town car is the worst. It's a box screwed into the floor with a lid that has 2 cup holders in lids. you have to take turns at -5 MPH so it won't tip over. Basically it's a trashcan with cup holders.

ImageImage

ZoomPrincess

Postby ZoomPrincess » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ Oct 17 2007, 02:23 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6151]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I wouldn't say that they're the worst. My cousins eclipse You onlly have one and usually if I drive it like her I use it for my phone. The second holder is next to it but you have to lift the lid of the center consule to get to it and its shallow. No sharp turns when in use.

I like that they're deep in the 8.

My sis mustang doesn't ge in the way cause it's an auto.

My moms lexus is just like the protege. I can't get the drink without hanging the radio station or hitting some other function.

My dads '87 town car is the worst. It's a box screwed into the floor with a lid that has 2 cup holders in lids. you have to take turns at -5 MPH so it won't tip over. Basically it's a trashcan with cup holders.[/b]

true.. the eclipse was pretty bad, I forgot all about lifting the center consel up to get to the second one.. The older style VW's are horrible too, the little holder that slides out from in front of the radio. You can't change the radio or put a cd in unless you moved your drinks.

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ Oct 17 2007, 02:23 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6151]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>

I like that they're deep in the 8.[/b]

I'm not saying they don't hold things well, it's just the positioning of them. If you want to shift while there's anything in the holders, you've got to hold your arm at an awkward angle to do so because of the height.

RX-7 Chris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CeXy7 @ Oct 17 2007, 02:28 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=6154]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
true.. the eclipse was pretty bad, I forgot all about lifting the center consel up to get to the second one.. The older style VW's are horrible too, the little holder that slides out from in front of the radio. You can't change the radio or put a cd in unless you moved your drinks.[/b]

Have VW's changed, my parents had an audi allroad and 2 porche boxters and they all had the same cup holders. german's have had a hard time understanding american cup holders.

My Car Blog

Return to “Interior Modifications”