Short on Zoom, so I added some boom

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14

As the title shows, I (with a lot of help from Lee) was able to tap into the subwoofer inputs from
my bose system and installed a mono amp and 12" sub in a sealed box in my trunk. No pics yet as it is
less than pretty right now. Need to do some tweaking and tidy up the trunk first. Imagine a box
and amp in the trunk and that's about it.

This was relatively easy (for the layman, me not so much), I was able to snag a decent amp from cl.
The 12" sub I am using now is mediocre at best.

So thanks again Lee for all your help, very pleased with the results, couldn't have done it w/o you.
Tell your wife sorry for last night, that rarely happens to me and I will do my best to make it up to her. :lol: j/k

Update, I have made a few upgrades to the stereo system

Phase I: Here is the old box/sub, crude but effective:

Phase II: new sub box and sub:
A 12 w3v2 placed in a custom sub box tucked away on the driver's side, I rewired the amp
and reran some of the wires to cleanup the install. I think the end result is a lot cleaner look
and it sounds pretty good to boot. The new box is much lighter than the old one, it is 1 cu ft
as opposed to 1.25 but I haven't noticed much of a difference. It is nice to have a usable trunk
again. More props to Lee who once again aided in my install. Actually he did all the work while
I was checking out his neighbor's sister... :lol: Have more install plans for the summer. hee hee hee

Phaase III: pics of the arc12 sub and repositioned the amp under the rear deck

"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14

Wait? You're making your car slower by adding weight? Hehe. Congrats on adding the boom.

LM

Postby LM » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14

Funny thing is...listening to the bass Guido now has, I might have to replace my sub and amp when I upgrade in January......thanks Guido...lol.

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lightnin McQueen @ Oct 25 2007, 10:03 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7828]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Funny thing is...listening to the bass Guido now has, I might have to replace my sub and amp when I upgrade in January......thanks Guido...lol.[/b]

just getting you back since your setup made me realize how much bass I was missing.
I can't imagine what it my car would sound like with a decent sub in there. Since Tim
is already harping on weight, I might opt to downsize to a slim and trim 10" instead of
a flabby 12" [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

LM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6i_guy @ Oct 25 2007, 10:08 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7831]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
just getting you back since your setup made me realize how much bass I was missing.
I can't imagine what it my car would sound like with a decent sub in there. Since Tim
is already harping on weight, I might opt to downsize to a slim and trim 10" instead of
a flabby 12" [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img][/b]

Yeah, the wife was saying something about your inadequacies.....might wanna go to a 14".... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/4d53a336.gif[/img]

Seriously though....10" dude...sounds soooo much better than a 12" for the type of music you listen to... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/25b530fa.gif[/img]

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14

I have a couple of 8" subs in a box in my garage that I've been meaning to install. I think the amp is bad though......

8" can sound a little "tight" at times, but for rock they aren't too bad. Plus, I got them CHEAP years ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lightnin McQueen @ Oct 25 2007, 10:11 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7833]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Yeah, the wife was saying something about your inadequacies.....might wanna go to a 14".... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/4d53a336.gif[/img]

Seriously though....10" dude...sounds soooo much better than a 12" for the type of music you listen to... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/25b530fa.gif[/img][/b]

aaaagh!! Your wife said she wouldn't tell... now I have to leave town start all over...again...

I am beginning to think you are right, still the kickdrum in one of the AVA songs frick'n sweet!
I will have to play around with it...anyone have some spare enclosed 10"s I can play with?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Oct 25 2007, 10:14 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7836]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I have a couple of 8" subs in a box in my garage that I've been meaning to install. I think the amp is bad though......

8" can sound a little "tight" at times, but for rock they aren't too bad. Plus, I got them CHEAP years ago.[/b]

If I did 8's I wonder if they could be mounted in the rear deck and then enclosed? hmmm..
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14

I'm just gonna toss my old Polk Monitor 12's in the back seat to add some boom. Although, I don't think they'd fit.

LM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Oct 25 2007, 10:14 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7836]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>

8" can sound a little "tight" at times, but for rock they aren't too bad. Plus, I got them CHEAP years ago.[/b]

If I could have my Custom Sub box replaced, I would def go with a couple of 8"....but then , I listen primarily to Rock.

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lightnin McQueen @ Oct 25 2007, 10:20 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7843]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
If I could have my Custom Sub box replaced, I would def go with a couple of 8"....but then , I listen primarily to Rock.[/b]

why can't you replace it dude? piece of cake? You were considering that anywayz. don't wuss out on me now. j/k
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

LM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6i_guy @ Oct 25 2007, 10:22 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7845]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
why can't you replace it dude? piece of cake? You were considering that anywayz. don't wuss out on me now. j/k[/b]

lol....um, cos I'm not brave enough to show the wife how much it will all cost.... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/6a434460.gif[/img] ...but then...she will get over it... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26fdf3e6.gif[/img]

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lightnin McQueen @ Oct 25 2007, 10:25 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7848]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
lol....um, cos I'm not brave enough to show the wife how much it will all cost.... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/6a434460.gif[/img] ...but then...she will get over it... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26fdf3e6.gif[/img][/b]

I just pony up some doctored receipts and such...or don't tell her at all....yes I have a strong marriage built on lies....
after she finds out she kicks me out and about 4-6 months later I can come back home....it's a bit rough, but it's a
living.. j/k (do not do what I do. sleeping on the street or in my car sucks bigtime)
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

ZoomPrincess

Postby ZoomPrincess » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6i_guy @ Oct 25 2007, 10:28 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7850]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I just pony up some doctored receipts and such...or don't tell her at all....yes I have a strong marriage built on lies....
after she finds out she kicks me out and about 4-6 months later I can come back home....it's a bit rough, but it's a
living.. j/k (do not do what I do. sleeping on the street or in my car sucks bigtime)[/b]

hahah been there done that, don't really care to go back to my car. I like the warmth of my home, not the heater in my car.

tsx_guy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CeXy7 @ Oct 25 2007, 10:44 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=7857]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
hahah been there done that, don't really care to go back to my car. I like the warmth of my home, not the heater in my car.[/b]

sadly I do missing sleeping on the street once in a while, not knowing how long before
someone wakes to tell you to move along or kick your a$$ or violate you....ahhhhh good times good times...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

turbo99jetta

Postby turbo99jetta » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:14

hey bro, sorry i couldn't help you. I ended up having some car trouble this week.. Something Chewed threw some of the wires in my car, and threw a CEL. So I've been trying to get all that stuff fixed. Sorry Bro.

Return to “Interior Modifications”