AudioLink/XCarLink USB MP3 Player Integration Kit for Mazda

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
SpeedDemon

AudioLink/XCarLink USB MP3 Player Integration Kit for Mazda

Postby SpeedDemon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:14

So I just ordered this for my Speed6 http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=141&osCsid=253e00164160a7f096112eaf279e59d9 because while a 6 disc changer is nice I would kinda perfer to use this instead. I was wondering if anyone allready put this in their car and has any install tips. I thought I saw it on someones mod list but I can't find it again. I have allready taken apart the center console before so that won't be hard but I have yet to mess with the dash or the electronic console at all so that might get fun.

turbo99jetta

Postby turbo99jetta » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:14

looks like a pretty easy install. Dont forget about the hidden bolts that hold the radio in on the mazda 6s, open the glove box and there is a 10 mm bolt holding the radio in place, and i believe (been awhile since i worked on a mazda 6) under the drive side need bolster panel there is one on that side as well holding the radio. Rest of the install should be straight forward. Let me know if you need help, i'm a drive from boulder, but I used to be an MECP installer.

Just4fun

Postby Just4fun » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:14

I just installed this about a month ago. It's easy. There is one bolt as turbo99jetta said on the side with the glove box. Unhinge the glove box to access it. There is not another bolt to worry about on the other side. Once you have that out you can grab the center stack and pull it straight out to access the back of the radio. I work at 55th and Arapahoe so am in Boulder daily if you need help.

SpeedDemon

Postby SpeedDemon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14

Just4fun wrote:I just installed this about a month ago. It's easy. There is one bolt as turbo99jetta said on the side with the glove box. Unhinge the glove box to access it. There is not another bolt to worry about on the other side. Once you have that out you can grab the center stack and pull it straight out to access the back of the radio. I work at 55th and Arapahoe so am in Boulder daily if you need help.

Right on. So just curious where did you end up putting the unit? Also since you probably had to do some cutting how did you go about doing that?

Just4fun

Postby Just4fun » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14

I ran it along the center console and put it in the arm rest. If you look in the bottom compartment there is a mesh-like area that is easy to trim up to fit the connector through. I used some snips to clip out a small section to gain the access I wanted and slit the felt mat thing that goes in the bottom to make the install look factory. I then ran the line up to the top compartment for easy access to my i-Pod. It fits neatly and is easy to access if I need to grab it.

SpeedDemon

Postby SpeedDemon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14

Ya I was thinking about doing that too, or possibly running it up to the compartment right above the center stack but I don't know how easy that would be either since I have yet to take any of that apart. Good to know there is at least one easy way of doing it though. Thanks!

JZSpeed6

Postby JZSpeed6 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14

Access to the top compartment is easy. You will have to disconnect the display unit for the climate, etc. I used a drill and made a hole under the felt matt. you have to feed the cord down and under the compartment before placing it back in. The only thing that I didn't like about that location is that the excess cord doesn't retract easily into the console when placing the ipod inside. You have to coil up the extra cord. I tried my ipod in that compartment as well as feeding the cord up next to the parking break and in the large compartment of the center console under the armrest. I tried feeding the cord up to the smaller compartment of the armrest as well but didn't like the way the cord crossed through the large compartment below. I do like having my ipod in the large compartment because there is a notch where the cord can feed out with the lid closed allowing me to keep my ipod next to my e-brake handle while I am using it. It can easily be stored out of sight as well.

I am curious to see what you think of the interface. I went with the NEO adapter and am quite pleased.
Let the modding begin. <b>HP=-AF</b><i> (Increase in HP is directly proportionate to the decline in available funds)</i>

SpeedDemon

Postby SpeedDemon » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:14

JZSpeed6 wrote:Access to the top compartment is easy. You will have to disconnect the display unit for the climate, etc. I used a drill and made a hole under the felt matt. you have to feed the cord down and under the compartment before placing it back in. The only thing that I didn't like about that location is that the excess cord doesn't retract easily into the console when placing the ipod inside. You have to coil up the extra cord. I tried my ipod in that compartment as well as feeding the cord up next to the parking break and in the large compartment of the center console under the armrest. I tried feeding the cord up to the smaller compartment of the armrest as well but didn't like the way the cord crossed through the large compartment below. I do like having my ipod in the large compartment because there is a notch where the cord can feed out with the lid closed allowing me to keep my ipod next to my e-brake handle while I am using it. It can easily be stored out of sight as well.

I am curious to see what you think of the interface. I went with the NEO adapter and am quite pleased.

Hmm NEO adapter? Is that an Ipod only thing becaue I have a Zune so I plan on using the audio jack to play my Zune but for the most part I plan on using a sd card to just play mp3s from the unit itself.

SpeedDemon

Postby SpeedDemon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:14

Got it installed. It was amazingly easy. I put the main uint in the glove compartment above the clock. That was nice because there is a huge open space above the vents and below the glove compartment and then there was a nice channel to run the wires down between two of the vents. So I also ran an audio cable down from the unit into the center consle which was also nice because I found that grate thing that Just4fun was talking about and I could bring the wire right up that pretty damn easy. I got a 8gb SD card for it and so I can put a shit ton of songs on that thing. The system took a little bit to figure out because it really dose not come with great instructions but I got it... eventually:)

JZSpeed6

Postby JZSpeed6 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:14

sorry for the late reply. I have been indisposed with family issues.
Yes my NEO is for iPod, but I believe that they have other versions for other players
Let the modding begin. <b>HP=-AF</b><i> (Increase in HP is directly proportionate to the decline in available funds)</i>

gibby_c

Postby gibby_c » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:14

SpeedDemon wrote:Got it installed. It was amazingly easy. I put the main uint in the glove compartment above the clock. That was nice because there is a huge open space above the vents and below the glove compartment and then there was a nice channel to run the wires down between two of the vents. So I also ran an audio cable down from the unit into the center consle which was also nice because I found that grate thing that Just4fun was talking about and I could bring the wire right up that pretty damn easy. I got a 8gb SD card for it and so I can put a shit ton of songs on that thing. The system took a little bit to figure out because it really dose not come with great instructions but I got it... eventually:)

Thanks for all the information. I own a 2003 Mazda 6 and thinking about getting a xCarlink ipod integration unit for my iPhone. Have a couple of newbie questions about your set-up

1) When you refer to the main unit in your post - Do you refer to the ipod/iphone or do you refer to the xCarlink adapter which plugs to the car's radio on one end and the ipod on the other ? Do you have any pics of your set-up that you can show ??

Thanks in Advance

Return to “Interior Modifications”