Best Gauges?

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
RX-7 Chris

Best Gauges?

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

I need to get some gauges for my car and I'm not sure what brand to get. I need:

-A/F Ratio (wideband)
-Water temp
-Oil temp
-Oil Pressure

I want something with black face, full sweep, red or white numbers, 52mm(2 1/6"). I want all the gauges to be matching. I really like the Autometer ES series but they are expensive. Any idea of a good quality gauge that would fit what I'm looking for? Are the prosport any good?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

For wideband, I'd go with AEM. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Autometer ES and works just as well. Unfortunately they don't make analog temp or pressure gauges, only digital, which are also expensive. All digital gauges are pretty pricey.

http://www.importpartspro.com/aemuewiaiga.html

Haven't heard anything bad about the ProSport gauges...seems comparable in quality to AEM, but you have to wonder, considering how cheap they are.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

If I remember right, AEM wideband doesn't have the range you need for a rotary. FJO makes a wideband that I think has the range we need, and my wideband is from Innovative Motorsports but it was around $400 for the wideband and gauge. I think you can get them a bit cheaper though with a different gauge. The other gauges I have are STRI and I love them. They look alot like Defi for not NEAR the price.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:If I remember right, AEM wideband doesn't have the range you need for a rotary. FJO makes a wideband that I think has the range we need, and my wideband is from Innovative Motorsports but it was around $400 for the wideband and gauge. I think you can get them a bit cheaper though with a different gauge. The other gauges I have are STRI and I love them. They look alot like Defi for not NEAR the price.

I'm not sure what you mean by not having the range? I guess that could be true for the FD but my car's ideal A/F is about 13.5

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

I have the aem on my car...it goes to 11 (LOL) but the digital readout will display lower.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

I have the AEM UEGO wideband it works great, but I've heard the NGK O2 sensor is the one to get (the AEM uses a less accurate Bosch sensor).

I also have ProSport gauges, and while they are cheaper, you get what you pay for IMO. They do work but not the best.

I'm a HUGE fan of STACK gauges- http://www.stackltd.com/tacho1.html

They are pretty pricey but worth it- they are deadly accurate and work great. I need to get a new set soon- I priced out a wideband, boost, water temp, oil temp, oil press, fuel press, and voltage and it was like $1350! :eek::eek:
:eek:

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:
I also have ProSport gauges, and while they are cheaper, you get what you pay for IMO. They do work but not the best.

+1

I had them for the MS6......nothing but problems......my boost gauge finally found its way out the window.........don't know how....:lol:

Thumbs down to Prosport...:2e0af307:
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mike11_11

Postby mike11_11 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

Defi are hands down the best gauges I have installed in any car. I recommend them to anyone that wants quality gauges. Next I would go with AEM they have some nice digital gauges also.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

Gmoney wrote:+1

I had them for the MS6......nothing but problems......my boost gauge finally found its way out the window.........don't know how....:lol:

Thumbs down to Prosport...:2e0af307:

LOL yeah there was a guy in our AZ Mazda club with a Speed6 that had a ProSport boost gauge- what a POS. He bought an AutoMeter gauges and that was that.

Defi makes great gauges- the only reason I don't like them is the external controller that is requires which adds $$. But overall very nice gauges

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:LOL yeah there was a guy in our AZ Mazda club with a Speed6 that had a ProSport boost gauge- what a POS. He bought an AutoMeter gauges and that was that.

Defi makes great gauges- the only reason I don't like them is the external controller that is requires which adds $$. But overall very nice gauges

I agree completely with the Defi guages. Sucks about the controller though. I really like how they match the 8's stock gauges. When I go FI I will proably be getting Defi gauges.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu May 28, 2009 9:14

I guess that is a no on the prosport. I don't really want external controllers because of lack of space so that rules out the Defi then.

What about VDO gauges? They used to be one of the best and are real cheap. My dad has them on his porsche stock. Most of what they have is not full sweep though and no wideband.

My Car Blog

RX-7 Chris

I see now why the VDO gauges are so cheap, it is because they don't come with a sending unit.

I'm really liking the Auto Meter Sport Comp II with Pro-Control but $180 for a Water temp gauge is a killer. The features look great though and it looks like I could loose my electric fan sending unit and run it right through the gauge. So I'm talking $800 w/ AEM wideband.

"Monitor and manage performance with new Sport-Comp II Pro-Control gauges from Auto Meter. Based on the popular Sport-Comp II series instruments and offered in a compact 2-1/16" size, these gauges feature solid state, data acquisition grade sending units, precision stepper motor movements, patented bright white HiDef LED through the dial illumination, and lit pointers to maximize accuracy and visibility, day or night.

Enhanced with Pro-Control funtionality, these instruments allow you to focus on driving white the gauges control key vehicle systems. Collect data for later review with one touch Peak Recall funtionality. Set custom alert points specific to you vehicle with the integrated Red LED Warning Indicators. Streamline your setup with built-in Pro-Control circuits and custom tailor unique activation and deactivation points for key functions like lights, fans, switches, pumps, and more specifically for you vehicle."

My Car Blog

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu May 28, 2009 9:14

Did you check out the STACK gauges link I posted?

The oil temp and water temp gauges are only $138 each with sending units, no controller required.

The wideband is $300 and the oil press is $209 with sending unit, tho

With $8.95 flat shipping you're at $795 total

RX-7 Chris

I did look at the stack gauges link. The thing I see about the stack gauges is they are standard analog gauges that are really expensive. I can get the autometer gauges with the pro-control feature for about the same price and be able to control stuff like my electric fan.

Edit: I see now, they do have a pro-control as well.

My Car Blog

RX-7 Chris

Where did you find prices etc on the stack gauges?

My Car Blog

Return to “Interior Modifications”