Bose upgrade

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
roninspeed3

Bose upgrade

Postby roninspeed3 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:14

Hi Everyone-

I have the 08 MS3 GT. The Bose stereo is "ok" for a factory but I wonder if any of you have perhaps upgraded? Maybe pulled the paper speakers and installed an efficient (the amp can't have much power) and better sounding alternative? If you have ideas, please advise...

Thanks,

Michael

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:14

Changing out your head unit will make a noticeable difference in sound quality from my experience, as long as you get something good obviously.
2013 FRS

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:14

I'm good with the sound quality EXCEPT the subwoofer, and that's just because it's mounted on that damn shelf and distorts every time I turn. GOD that pisses me off, but until someone figures out a fix or finds a way to mount a different sub with the stock HU, I'm stuck with it. Not much into the sound upgrades.
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:14

Check with a local car audio shop to be sure if this is true of your Bose system, but Bose systems typically mean non standard equipment that require adaptors and converters to work with off the shelf aftermarket audio gear.

Often you can't just replace speakers, you also have to replace the head unit and bypass the Bose amps.

Again, call a couple local shops to what (if anything) is different about your system. crutchfield.com probably can tell you also.

If two different shops tell you the same thing "gotta replace it all, wire around, adaptors, etc" It's probably not just BS trying to upsell you.

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:14

I believe that IS the case with the Bose system. I think I've read that on numerous 6 forums. But you'd think there's an upgraded BOSE sub that would work....
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

roninspeed3

Postby roninspeed3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:14

Went to Crutchfield and there is an "outfit my car" section. It lists a ton of 6X8's for front and rear ( So I guess they are the same) for the 08 MS3 that come "free" with the correct harness. Looks like crud for 39 bucks up to "better be good" at $299.00 a pair.
2008.5 MS3 GT (Metro Grey)
Custom install-Parrot MKi9200
Garmin 1350T
Speed 3 CAI
TurboSmart BOV
VEI Vent Mount Boost Gauge
Yokohama W Drive - Winter
Mats and Cargo liner
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fly boy

Postby Fly boy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:14

I have the same car......

I just put a 12" in the rear with a custom box. Sounds GREAT! It is a very simple install as well.

Sorry for the cross links but here is MY write-up on installing sub:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=146671.msg3262732#msg3262732

Since I have done that, I build a custom box that pushes agains the rear seats. The sub fires down, so I can put things on the box.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14

jamiel wrote:Check with a local car audio shop to be sure if this is true of your Bose system, but Bose systems typically mean non standard equipment that require adaptors and converters to work with off the shelf aftermarket audio gear.

Often you can't just replace speakers, you also have to replace the head unit and bypass the Bose amps.

Again, call a couple local shops to what (if anything) is different about your system. crutchfield.com probably can tell you also.

If two different shops tell you the same thing "gotta replace it all, wire around, adaptors, etc" It's probably not just BS trying to upsell you.

+1 IIRC you can't just swap out the speakers, the bose amp is not compatible with standard 4ohm/8ohm speakers. Since your dash is more "upgrade" friendly opted for a deck first, I think you lose your sub tho.

I went Fly boy's route and just tacked a aftermarket sub/amp to my system, added some nice low end.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

memphis

Postby memphis » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14

if you really want to get good decent sound, then replace everything and bypass all your factory bose stuff.. depending on your budget you can get a decent set up with Head unit, speakers, subs and amps for as lil as $500 if you you just want a basic set up..

or one way if you dont want to spend alot of money now is to just upgrade to an after market head unit and get the adapters that will connect to your factory BOSE system.. Now this will work and sound a lil better, but it will open it up for later for you to add on after market speakers and amps later on down the road.

roninspeed3

Postby roninspeed3 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14

Thanks to everyone (and OCD). I could of made a dumb mistake. I'm going to hold off and maybe concentrate on a different mod for the moment. When I get the $$$, I'll start over with the head unit, amps and speakers and bypass/replace the whole system. Until then, I at least have tunes. Ironic thing is I was happy with the Sport, I went up to the GT because of the Bose system. I would of been better off with a generic type system I could replace/mod etc....

Garmin 1350T

Speed 3 CAI

TurboSmart BOV

Mats and Cargo liner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

memphis

Postby memphis » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14

roninspeed3 wrote:Thanks to everyone (and OCD). I could of made a dumb mistake. I'm going to hold off and maybe concentrate on a different mod for the moment. When I get the $$$, I'll start over with the head unit, amps and speakers and bypass/replace the whole system. Until then, I at least have tunes. Ironic thing is I was happy with the Sport, I went up to the GT because of the Bose system. I would of been better off with a generic type system I could replace/mod etc....

exactly,, thats how i view things to.. why get upgrades on your car from a dealership if your planning on just replacing them with after market stuff later on.. When I got my 6 I could have gotten the factory alloy wheels added on but I choose the steelies with hub cabs cuz I knew I would get after market rims later on..

roninspeed3

Postby roninspeed3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14

When i first heard the difference between the two systems I decided that I would go GT for the cool stuff that came with it but mostly the better sounding system. My logic at the time was that I'll never be able to change the head unit anyway because it is connected to the display. Now a year and a half later, I'm sort of looking at the situation from a new perspective but still do not want to lose the display or functionality- I generally keep my cars five years or less (thinking re-sale). Bose says (on their website) you can't change head unit, speakers or add a sub as it changes parameters, loads etc. but I am hearing some members with successful sub installs at least.

Garmin 1350T

Speed 3 CAI

TurboSmart BOV

Mats and Cargo liner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14

If you use Flyboy's method of tapping into the Bose amp, you can add a sub without affecting the Bose system at all. It's not drawing any power at all from the Bose system, just the line signal.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

rush24

Postby rush24 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14

roninspeed3 wrote:When i first heard the difference between the two systems I decided that I would go GT for the cool stuff that came with it but mostly the better sounding system. My logic at the time was that I'll never be able to change the head unit anyway because it is connected to the display. Now a year and a half later, I'm sort of looking at the situation from a new perspective but still do not want to lose the display or functionality- I generally keep my cars five years or less (thinking re-sale). Bose says (on their website) you can't change head unit, speakers or add a sub as it changes parameters, loads etc. but I am hearing some members with successful sub installs at least.

I know for the CX-7 and CX-9 there is the PAC MAZATO adapter that allows you to add an aftermarket HU to the Bose system and keep all the functionality....I just don't know if it will work on other models.....If not...you can just tap into the Bose amp with a LOC and add a sub to get better sound....Here is a link to the MAZATO...

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=84&CategoryID=26
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=134]
2007 Black CX7

Apexcone Raptor 6000k HID...
[color=Black]Corksport Turbo Inlet Pipe

Forge V1 BPV...ProSport Boost Gauge
3" DP back Exhaust System
[/color][/font][/SIZE]...[color=Black]PG SRI
SURE Motor Mount...
[/color]

Dash Hawk...Altered Customs CX-7 FMIC

roninspeed3

Postby roninspeed3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14

Ok, so it looks like a sub to add a little bass is a possibility. I got this little nine inch sitting around doing nothing and I guess that would work. I just need a little bass to round out the sound, nothing you need to hear next door. Any thoughts on an amp??? Can I go with like a :

Rockford Fosgate PRIME R150-2
150W Max, PRIME Series 2-Channel Amplifier

and bridge it or is there a mono any of you have used in the past that you recommend? I want it small and like the idea of it hidden or just attached to the sub.
Attachments
Boston.jpg

Garmin 1350T

Speed 3 CAI

TurboSmart BOV

Mats and Cargo liner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Interior Modifications”