Cannot Program Key Fobs after they stopped working

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
GR-8

Cannot Program Key Fobs after they stopped working

Postby GR-8 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14

I need some serious help. The other day my key fob on my 'Switchblade' key stopped working. Well I got out my old fobs and those don't work either.

Tonight I went to the garage and did the little Hokey Pokey freaking dance to re-program them but there is a problem.

When I get to the step where the doors are supposed to lock and unlock nothing happens. There is no way for me to re-program any fob or any key.

I need someone to also test something out for me.

- Get into car and put the key in the on position.
-Turn car off and pull the key out and open the door
-Does the Ding noise go on?

-Do the same as above but leave the key in the lock position and open the door.
-Does the ding noise go on?
-Pull the key out of the ignition.
-Any Ding noise now?

I can't figure this out at all. But the ding noise for me is on all the time. I thought it used to go off after removing the key from the ignition but I'm not sure now. Something is screwed up. I'm going back out to check fuses but IDT that's the problem.

ImageImage

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14

The "Ding" noise stays on anytime the key is in the ignition unless the engine is running or the key is in the "ON" position (where it is when the engine is running)

So if the key is in the ignition and the door open it will "ding". Key in the ACC position and door open it will "ding".

Are you sure the batteries are just dead in the fob? Seems highly unlikely they would just loose their programing. Can you still start the engine? Is the immobilizer light flashing at all?
:eek:

GR-8

Immobolize light flashes and I can start the car. I doubt that all 3 fobs battereys are dead though. I can't even get the lock/unlock that should happen after starting the setup to re-program.

If you take the key out while the door is open does it keep dinging or does it stop? Mine will keep on making the noise even after removing the key. I thought that after removing the key it would stop. Actually I'm positive that it would stop dinging after removing the key. Now it just stays on until I close the door.

Also lets say I leave the car. go back 10 min later and I open the door. The "dinging" starts right up. What's the matter. Does it think that a key is still in the ignition?

ImageImage

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14

Might be a problem inside the lock cylinder.

GR-8

dommo_g wrote:Might be a problem inside the lock cylinder.

That's what I'm thinking. IDK. Mebe a pin is stuck. When I did start it the other day I didn't put the key 100% in and the ignition turned to ACC but no further. So I took the key out and tried again and U got it in right. It just felt weird that one time. What can one do without going to a stealer ship. I guess I'm gonnn have to try to lock pick my ignition till it stops. I'm not gonna sleep till I fix it. It's soo annoying.

ImageImage

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14

Yeah I vote it's the lock cylinder. Sounds like it thinks your key is in the ignition all the time. That's why you can't lock your doors.

You could try having a locksmith take a look at it- it's probably just a pin stuck like you said. Shouldn't be hard for a pro to fix
:eek:

GR-8

yep definitley a pin stuck on one side. with a paper clip i can feel 4 pins total and on the other just 3. Its stuck for sure. the cabin lights wont even go on after i remove the key. paper clip aint helping much. grrrrr

ImageImage

Return to “Interior Modifications”