DO NOT get reupsholstering done by this person...

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
speedjunkie

DO NOT get reupsholstering done by this person...

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14

Alright, this is my stock seats saga...

A few months ago, one of the other FD owners here in CS told me about a lady that does reupholstery and she does it on the cheap...as in $125 per seat, and I had to buy the material. I thought that sounded pretty good.

On Nov 7th, 2009, my friend Morris (some of you know him) took me by his house and showed me his seats that she did. They looked great! I decided that day to get the material and drop off the seats as soon as possible. We went to Hancock Fabrics right away and I picked up 5 yards of fake suede (in black) for $75...Morris used the same exact color and material. I'm really just listing this for posterity and so you get an idea on pricing btw.

For the record, I thought this was a woman about in her 60s. No, she's more like around her 80s, but she seems like she's pretty well with it still. She told me she does this job on the side, and she has a job at the convenience store right down the street where she works a good bit of the time, about 8 hours a day. No big deal. Morris told me before we went over there that he had just helped her move, TWICE, and the second time was back into the place they had just moved her out of and it was a time span of about a week, so he was already displeased with that. And he said she took a while on his second seat, and he had made the mistake of paying her in advance for the second one (she takes money for the first seat when you drop them off, and the rest of the payment when you pick them up). I had no problem with that because I was going to be in NCO Academy for 6-7 weeks anyway and wouldn't have time for anything else.

So we met her, gave her the material and the deposit, and I either dropped off my seat that night or the next night, I don't remember. She told me then that she was working on someone else's seats and it would be a week or two before she got started on mine...no biggie, NCOA and all. I figured they would still be done by the time I graduated on Dec 17th, or around that time. How wrong I was.

I also talked to Frank (PXRdriFT) about this and he decided he'd take his over too since he was doing his LS2 swap anyway.

Now in this time, I decided I wanted blue thread like Subaru's have, so that took a little extra time, about a week or so. She also told me she needed more money for foam because my seat needed to be done a bit differently than Morris's and it needed a special kind of foam, and so did Franks, so we paid her extra for that, I think around $60 or $80 but I don't remember (I have it on a list at home). I also wanted her to make me some shift and ebrake boots to match the seats, that was an extra $25. The thread was an extra $35 because she usually used black and didn't have blue.

Also in this time, a couple times she gave me around-a-bout dates when they should be complete, and ended up pushing it back a couple times.

Fast forward to early last week...she told me they would be ready by Friday (1 Jan). She called me Thursday and told me they wouldn't be ready because she was going to take the day off (take some time to herself, as she told me so many times because "I worked so many hours at the store" blah blah blah, I can't even count how many times I heard that). She said she'd call me on Saturday (2 Jan) to come pick them up because she had them all threaded together and she just had to install them on the seats, and it should only take her a couple hours tops.

I had plans to leave on Sunday to come home for my Grandpa's funeral, and I'm still home now, coming back on Saturday. She called me Saturday and said they wouldn't be ready because she had to order some clips to install the covers...she had thought she would be able to use the old ones but they broke. Ok, that couldn't have been figured out and ordered before? She said they'd be ready by Tuesday (5 Jan).

I figured I better call her tonight and see if they were finished and ready to pick up. When I talked to her last Saturday we agreed I could pick them up when I got back this Saturday. I called tonight at 720 mountain time...

She told me I called too late. I told her I had always called her around this time and she never said anything. She said that she thought I knew it was too late. I said how am I supposed to know it's too late if you didn't tell me? I didn't know what time you got off work. She said what time do you get off work, 7pm? I said no, but I don't know what time YOU get off work. I asked her what time she was getting off work Saturday and she said 2pm. I asked her if I could get the seats then, and she said let's wait til Sunday because I need some time to myself.

At this point, I've about had it with "I need some time to myself". She's already busted the suspense numerous times...charged me AND Frank more than what we originally were told (I can understand some things, but it's getting out of hand now)...gets onto me for calling too late when she never told me it was too late before?!?!

She told me tonight that she doesn't usually deal with customers after 5pm. Oh, so this is a business now? And I'm a customer now? It was OK before, but now it's not. Well if this is now a business, she needs to treat it like one, whether it's done from home or a different location, and whatever time of day especially when she's busted suspenses left and right. If I'm the customer, I'm throwing down the "customer is always right" card, cause this is BULLSHIT!

Although I don't think she advertises, and therefore there is little chance any of you would have contact with her or have her do work for you, I still want to tell you know so Morris doesn't convince you it's a good idea OR so you don't just happen to find her. Her name is Renee, she's an older British woman and she lives in Manitou Springs about a block from where she works, which is one block from the new roundabout.

I'm going to talk to Morris about this too once Frank and I get our seats back. This is a nightmare. It may have been a good deal in the beginning, but at some point it loses that status, and this is long past.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14

Man that sucks. I know you've been holding off coming to meets cause of your seats. By now you could have just paid ~$500 and had custom real leather seats, heh.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

There is a guy on RCC that was selling real leather seat skins with white stitching for $350. I could have had those and installed them myself within about a week! I didn't see his for sale thread until after I'd had my seats with her a while though lol.

You must be a night owl too, you've responded to alot of posts tonight.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

I work third shift. So I'm just starting my day, heh.

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

Shitty, when you get them back I'd double and triple check to make sure they are right. I'm sure you would anyway but with this BS, don't settle for less. She's had plenty of time to do these seats for you. If they aren't right I'd ask her for your money back and cite the reasons why. If she refuses I'm pretty sure you can talk to the police about the situation. My bf amost had to do that when he got his trim carbon fibered. The guy took two months to do a job he said would take a week. Then when we got the trim it was f-ed up beyond all belief. He agreed to redo it for free after a bit of "hasseling" but it was still a pain in the butt.

Good luck with the old bat :)
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

Well by looking at Morris's seats, she does a good job. They better be as good as his. If not, I'll probably just have some choice words with her, depending on just how bad they are.

I know it was meant to be a good deal, a hook up if you will, but at some point it's lost that luster. I'd say with the combination of things, this has gone WAY downhill. For so long she has made it look like this is just a side job and was cool with me calling her whenever. Now it's a business and it's a problem when I call her at 720pm?! I don't think so. One or the other, she can't have it both ways.

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:She told me I called too late. I told her I had always called her around this time and she never said anything. She said that she thought I knew it was too late. I said how am I supposed to know it's too late if you didn't tell me? I didn't know what time you got off work. She said what time do you get off work, 7pm? I said no, but I don't know what time YOU get off work.

^^ This part is hilarious:59608953:
You write a heck of a good synopsis- sorry to hear about your troubles though.
one and one makes two, together we are free

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

That sucks. Morris tried to get me to use her as well, I'm glad I haven't had the money yet.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

I'm thinking about getting a Miata and if I do I will seriously consider getting some seats from this place:

http://www.crazyred.com/pages/seats.html

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

When things like this happens it sucks. Sorry to hear.

Atleast you didn't ask me to do your seats. 1yr later and I still only have 1 seat cushion done. :D

ImageImage

PXRdriFT

Postby PXRdriFT » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:14

its one of those "too good to be true" situations. I just hope that i can get mine by the end of the month. Keeping my fingers crossed.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:14

kingtut wrote:^^ This part is hilarious:59608953:
You write a heck of a good synopsis- sorry to hear about your troubles though.

Yeah, I'm not sure if she realizes we're not even in the same job sector...I'm in the military, she's 80 years old working at a convenience store and doing seats on the side. NOT really the same thing, so I'm not sure if she thinks I'm psychic or what. LOL

BTW, I'm not knocking what she does for a living, when I get that old I hope to be doing that or even less LOL, I'm just saying our jobs are pretty different, much less working at the SAME job to where I'd know what time she gets off work LOL.

Thanks though, maybe I should get a job at a publisher LOL.

RX-7 Chris wrote:That sucks. Morris tried to get me to use her as well, I'm glad I haven't had the money yet.

Yeah, count your blessings LOL. I'm definitely talking to Morris once Frank and I get our seats back. I'd like to make sure NO ONE uses this lady again.

erod550 wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Miata and if I do I will seriously consider getting some seats from this place:

http://www.crazyred.com/pages/seats.html

Maybe I should just get Miata seats and get those skins LOL.

GR-8 wrote:When things like this happens it sucks. Sorry to hear.

Atleast you didn't ask me to do your seats. 1yr later and I still only have 1 seat cushion done. :D

I don't know Jimmy, from the looks of it, I'd STILL get my seats from you before I get them from her, and she has a 2 month head start on you LOL.

PXRdriFT wrote:its one of those "too good to be true" situations. I just hope that i can get mine by the end of the month. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We'll see on Sunday. I'm picking them up regardless, finished or not. I wanna see just how far she is on your seats too. I have a feeling she's not really done with mine anyway, the way she was stumbling around over her words when I asked her if they were finished.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:I know it was meant to be a good deal, a hook up if you will, but at some point it's lost that luster.

Oh and another thing, when I mentioned luster here, I was not referring to Eric (erod550) LOL.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:14

She called me today to apologize for the way she talked to me the other day but said she has an issue in her family and she just didn't know how to handle it and couldn't handle talking to anyone else that night. I told her I understood why she would be upset in that case.

Then she told me she didn't get finished with everything this weekend so I couldn't pick them up today after all. What a surprise. She is getting off work today at 2pm mind you. She said she's working until 9 tomorrow night, and 9 Tuesday night, so she won't get to work on them until Wednesday. I asked her what needed to be done, cause I figure it might be something I can do myself or I can take it somewhere else, I don't really care at this point. She said most of the seat is finished, including the part to sit on. She said it was just the back part that she was having problems with. I said "well, I think I'm just going to pick them up today anyway". She said "I'm not home right now" and I said "I'm talking about later tonight. It's been over two months and I can't wait any longer." She told me she wanted to work on them some more because someone else would charge me more because they had to redo what she's already done, and that it's her fault they're not done and she wants to see it through. She told me she will work on them tomorrow night after she gets off work at 9 and I can pick them up tomorrow night.

So we're in the same situation...busting suspense once again. If she really is going to come through this time, I think she'll probably work on it today after she gets off work, I don't know why she wouldn't. I understand that she's having issues in her family and I feel for her, but like I said, it's been over two months, and the majority of that time she didn't have family problems, so I have no sympathy when it comes to that time.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Oh and another thing, when I mentioned luster here, I was not referring to Eric (erod550) LOL.

Nice one, lol.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “Interior Modifications”