Carbon Fiber questions

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

GR-8 wrote:Intresting. I would like to make CF peices. Even a dash. Wonder what weight savings that would net me? That is my next direction I am going with the 8. Light weight. Problem is I want full interior still.:eek:

Slowly making the 8 ligther is my goal for the next 3 or so years. I just need to find out how much CF doors (front & rear) and fenders weigh compared to stock. (They will be painted)

I messaged a guy who sells the doors on ebay and he said the box he ships them in is rated at 15lbs w/packaging and all. So if he is telling the truth it's about 7lb.s per door compared at 36lbs stock.

I just need to save up $. Going all CF will cost more money than I spent on my turbo kit. Will it be worth it if only 100Lbs of body panel will be shed?

Guess the only thing to test it would be making a pass at bandimere with just me then either have 100lbs added to the car or have a person that weighs 100lbs less than me drive it down the track.

Not to break your heart, Jimmy, but the bod panels on the 8 are pretty light weight. The fenders are a very thin gauge (22g) stamped steel and weight less than 10lbs a piece. I had my fenders off a lot and actually weighted them.

The front doors are steel and have integrated crash bars, which adds heft, but also protection. The main weight in the door is the window, however, and the speakers, the power window motor, power door lock system, and wiring harness still weight more than the door itself. Gut the door and replace the heavy window with a Lexan window and you'll save more weight.

The other problem with the CF doors is they aren't pre-drilled or anything for mounting the power window/door lock equipment, speakers, etc, so you have to fab mounting brackets. When it's all said and done, you'll be lucky to save 10lbs by going to Carbon fiber front doors...not to mention they don't have the crash bars in them like the OEM doors do, drastically reducing safety. Remember, the RX-8 has no B-Pillar due to the dual doors, so the doors actually form the B-Pillar.

The rear doors...fughitaboutit. They are aluminum and were specifically designed by Mazda to be lightweight. The CF piece will save you about 2lbs if you're lucky per door. It's just like a CF hood on the 8...the OEM hood is 2-piece bonded aluminum and a lot of CF hoods out there actually MORE than the OEM hood. My CF trunk actually saved me about 10lbs, however.

A carbon fiber dash would be interesting, but hella expensive. I don't think it would save you much, if any, weight. The only way it could would be if you ditched the stereo, the HVAC system including the ducting and heat exchangers, and airbags. You could save an easy 60-80lbs there, but at the sacrifice of no air (even vent), no heat, no radio, etc. Too extreme for a street car, IMO.

Honestly the RX-8 is pretty lightweight from Mazda- the only way IMO to strip more weight while keeping an interior is to do a small lightweight race battery in the trunk, 2-piece brake rotors front/rear and monoblock 4piston calipers like the ones from RacingBrake (saves a BUNCH of weight, and it's un-sprung weight which counts for double), lightweight wheels (which you already have), lightweight exhaust- preferably titanium, and starting with a Base Model car. Since you have the GT, swapping in base non-power seats will help you, too.

/end threadjack LOL
:eek:

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:Not to break your heart, Jimmy, but the bod panels on the 8 are pretty light weight. The fenders are a very thin gauge (22g) stamped steel and weight less than 10lbs a piece. I had my fenders off a lot and actually weighted them.

The front doors are steel and have integrated crash bars, which adds heft, but also protection. The main weight in the door is the window, however, and the speakers, the power window motor, power door lock system, and wiring harness still weight more than the door itself. Gut the door and replace the heavy window with a Lexan window and you'll save more weight.

The other problem with the CF doors is they aren't pre-drilled or anything for mounting the power window/door lock equipment, speakers, etc, so you have to fab mounting brackets. When it's all said and done, you'll be lucky to save 10lbs by going to Carbon fiber front doors...not to mention they don't have the crash bars in them like the OEM doors do, drastically reducing safety. Remember, the RX-8 has no B-Pillar due to the dual doors, so the doors actually form the B-Pillar.

The rear doors...fughitaboutit. They are aluminum and were specifically designed by Mazda to be lightweight. The CF piece will save you about 2lbs if you're lucky per door. It's just like a CF hood on the 8...the OEM hood is 2-piece bonded aluminum and a lot of CF hoods out there actually MORE than the OEM hood. My CF trunk actually saved me about 10lbs, however.

A carbon fiber dash would be interesting, but hella expensive. I don't think it would save you much, if any, weight. The only way it could would be if you ditched the stereo, the HVAC system including the ducting and heat exchangers, and airbags. You could save an easy 60-80lbs there, but at the sacrifice of no air (even vent), no heat, no radio, etc. Too extreme for a street car, IMO.

Honestly the RX-8 is pretty lightweight from Mazda- the only way IMO to strip more weight while keeping an interior is to do a small lightweight race battery in the trunk, 2-piece brake rotors front/rear and monoblock 4piston calipers like the ones from RacingBrake (saves a BUNCH of weight, and it's un-sprung weight which counts for double), lightweight wheels (which you already have), lightweight exhaust- preferably titanium, and starting with a Base Model car. Since you have the GT, swapping in base non-power seats will help you, too.

/end threadjack LOL

Or just sell the car and get an FB and save even more weight, lol.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

can you get lightweight carbon fiber paint?
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

GR-8 wrote:
This thread is making me wanna try doing some interior peices. Maybe after my car is completely tuned.

If you want to wrap them, I can help you do that. I watched my ex do it enough that I have the know-how.
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

Hmmm, mind posting up the short version of how to do it? I'd be interested in playing around with something like that. Might make a nice way to cover up my piano black trim pieces.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:If you want to wrap them, I can help you do that. I watched my ex do it enough that I have the know-how.

That would be cool. I just need to find out what I want to make/cover into CF.

chickenwafer wrote:Not to break your heart, Jimmy, but the bod panels on the 8 are pretty light weight. The fenders are a very thin gauge (22g) stamped steel and weight less than 10lbs a piece. I had my fenders off a lot and actually weighted them.

/end threadjack LOL

Thanks for the info. Looks like I gotta find other weight saving things to do. Wonder how much the back covers on the front seats weigh. But that houses the airbag. Shoot. Well maybe pull out the aircondition seeing as I can't use it anyway and maybe do the trunk but I'd want to paint it and get the MS Wing. I'd tape something off on it so you could tell it's CF still.

Wonder how much the dash actually weighs and how much weight difference there is between the plastic and CF. I could tell the CF hood weighs less than the stock Aluminum one but not by much at all. Nothing to write home about.

But I want to try out some interior pieces to see if I like the CF look in the car. I know sometimes if over done it could look tacky.

Edit. Maybe when I fix the other 8 I can sell it and get a set of these 6lb wheels.

ImageImage

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

Justin wrote:Hmmm, mind posting up the short version of how to do it? I'd be interested in playing around with something like that. Might make a nice way to cover up my piano black trim pieces.

Cover up the piano black pieces?? Blasphemy! They are the best part of the interior trim imo.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:I'm not so worried about the original piece because I have 2.

Here is a 5 minute photoshop of what I'm wanting:

Would be nice if the firm you worked for had a 3D printer. You could just make a 3D render in ACAD and hit print.

ImageImage

Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

erod550 wrote:Cover up the piano black pieces?? Blasphemy! They are the best part of the interior trim imo.

Too much of a pain in the *** to maintain. Shows every fingerprint, scratches easily, and may attract more dust than any other substance known to humanity.

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

Sand a bit to get the surface rough, buy a roll of straight carbon fiber cloth/fabric and some lacquer, resin and some 3M adhesive spray.

Then, apply a coating of the 3M adhesive spray and lay the carbon fiber cloth over it. You can leave it this way (no resin) if you'd like or you can apply a layer of resin... and another (allow drying time in between) and another... and another and then finally do a lacquer on it. Sand between layers and before sealing (so it sticks). Let it cure/dry for a few days and then install. You may have to sand some pieces down so they fit back again. Some guys sanded down their trim pieces before the carbon fiber, some did it after on the bits that didn't show.

It all depends.

Here are two different ways it was done:

http://www.g37forums.com/showthread.php?t=43 (with lacquer/sealant)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201689 (without)
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled

2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:14

6i_guy wrote:can you get lightweight carbon fiber paint?

hahaha. you gotta use a wicker chair to paint it so you get the authentic cf design.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:Sand a bit to get the surface rough, buy a roll of straight carbon fiber cloth/fabric and some lacquer, resin and some 3M adhesive spray.

Then, apply a coating of the 3M adhesive spray and lay the carbon fiber cloth over it. You can leave it this way (no resin) if you'd like or you can apply a layer of resin... and another (allow drying time in between) and another... and another and then finally do a lacquer on it. Sand between layers and before sealing (so it sticks). Let it cure/dry for a few days and then install. You may have to sand some pieces down so they fit back again. Some guys sanded down their trim pieces before the carbon fiber, some did it after on the bits that didn't show.

It all depends.

Here are two different ways it was done:

http://www.g37forums.com/showthread.php?t=43 (with lacquer/sealant)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201689 (without)

This is something I would for sure try on a junk piece. You could probably go to the junk yard and find some similar interior part to try it on.

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14

GR-8 wrote:Would be nice if the firm you worked for had a 3D printer. You could just make a 3D render in ACAD and hit print.

Don't I wish.

My Car Blog

Dange

Postby Dange » Sat May 07, 2011 9:14

ive been meaning to do that carbon wrap for a while, the dash inserts on my car are ugly as hell IMO, and i think that would look alot better
04MSMGT

JerinX

Postby JerinX » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:14

Out of morbid curiosity, where would be the best place to locate a decent-quality real carbon fiber wrap? Would there be particular websites to order from, or would this be something to pick up in town somewhere?
Will
1985 12A RX-7 (Fixer-Upper...FOR NOW!)

Return to “Interior Modifications”