Atermarket amp wont shut off

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
turboguy05

Atermarket amp wont shut off

Postby turboguy05 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:14

I have a Fosgate t500-1 amp running a single 12. I have it wired into the rear speakers with inverter. as of late, when i turn my car on the sub comes on full blast. like a surge. it seems to go away the longer i drive. I came out this morning and my amp and cap were warm to the touch even tho i haven't driven since yesterday. I have a 06 speed6 with Bose. not sure where to start. I have since disconnected the remote wire and pulled the fuse for the amp wire.

Any Ideas would would be appreciated. Thanx

alex_n/a

Postby alex_n/a » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14

if the amp is working properly then your remote continues to activate the amp. The full blast is because there is no "audio". I'm assuming you have a stock stereo, so it is a little harder to make it functional. Here is what you need to do.

Add a kill switch to your remote wire. A simple flick of the switch will cut the power to the amp. This is also helpful when you are blasting the subs and a cop pulls up. Flick the switch and your audio will continue to play while your amp is off. Instant safe from a ticket.
89' rx7/ brought back to life/ now sold
96' Honda Civic cx hatchback midori green / stock / daily driver / 39mpg
00' Ford explorer xlt / winter work horse / 218k miles and running like a champ

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:14

Although that may work, it's not really fixing the root of the problem. And it may not even work. First thing I would do is check all of your connections, especially the ground to the amp. Make sure it's a solidly connected ground, no longer than 18". Double check where the remote turn on is getting its power from. Verify that the amp actually IS staying on when the car or stereo is off by checking for a power light on the amp when it should be off. If you're using a hi-low adapter to give your amp a low level signal from your high level speaker outputs, you should check to see if it has any type of adjustment. It could be feeding your RCA lines to the amp too much voltage. If everything seems ok and you can't figure it out with troubleshooting, you can set up a delayed turn on with a relay on your remote turn on wire.

turboguy05

Postby turboguy05 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:14

Thank you guys for the input. I will retrace my wires and double check all the connections. Its good so see some knowledgeable ppl on this form that want to help.

Eclipse

Postby Eclipse » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:14

are you using the factory stereo? if so, why not use the factory remote amp turn on, located in the stock sub harness... really no other way to connect the remote with the factory stereo..
Powerstroke 6.0

Return to “Interior Modifications”