Redline Goods boots and armrest cover

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
Shadowden

Redline Goods boots and armrest cover

Postby Shadowden » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14

I have been working on improving the looks of my interior. The armrest cover of the 3, and the shift boot are a little cheap to me and mine are pretty marked up. Given my other plans for the car, this seemed like an inexpensive way to really change the looks of the interior.

I changed the fabrics on the doors with some red ultrasuede and ordered custom boots and armrest cover from redlinegoods.com. I was a little leary of ordering internationally, but with the positive response on a lot of other forums, I decided to go ahead. Unfortunately for them, they have a great customer policy, and I accidentally filled out my order form incorrectly. However, they agreed to take the shift boot I got back, and send me the one I invisioned (which is why it is not in the photos yet).

The material and construction is great. I tried to keep it fairly simple but sporty and played the two leathers from the steering wheel to the boots. So black perforated leather with black leather.

I plan to get neoprene seat covers from wet okole (I don't care for leather seats and love the covers I have on my Avalanche), that will compliment the boots. Black with red piping. I will likely redo my door fabrics in red neoprene as well, although the ultrasuede is nice, I don't like how it shows brush marks when touched.

I have attached some pictures of the pieces I put into the car (will get some better ones in the near future), and a picture of the boot I am sending back. It is well made, I just meant to order a 4 panel boot. Not sure why the lighting in the brighter photos changed the color, but it is a very good match with the door fabrics. This was a simple way to really freshen up the inside of the car. Given the relatively low cost and dramatic change I'm definately glad I ordered them.
Attachments
arm.ebrake2.jpg
arm.ebrake.jpg
boot1.jpg
armrestebrakeinstalled1.jpg
armrestebrakeinstalled2.jpg

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14

I got a shift boot and ebrake boot from Redline before, they make good stuff!

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14

Looks awesome!
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14

Go the new shift boot, but having trouble with install. I think the bulk in the corners from the seams is too much for the current ring without modification.

Fair warning, that the shift boot is not as simple to install as may be indicated by the user written instructions. So far I have spent about 40 minutes sanding leather on the sides, with no improved fitment, which caused the epiphany of the bulk in the corners. Next move is to modify the retaining ring that the boot slides over.

Boot looks great though (would look better in the car).

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14

These boots may not be for the faint of heart, or those looking for a simple replacement. To make the boot work on my mazda 3 I used a dremel to recess the corners of the inner mounting frame.this allowed the clearance necessary to get the boot in place.keep in mind that I ordered a 4 panel boot with piping. This causes more bulk in the corners than the stock.I also hand sanded and used a sanding wheel on a dremel to decrease the thickness of the leather. For the washer, I simply removed the one from the stock boot by turning it inside out and squeezing near the washer. I then put it on the shifter and used pressure between the shift knob and washer to bind the boot in place. Finally, even on a stock shifter I would recommend a little decrease in height. I will be installing a mazdaspeed shifter in december and will see what happens then.

Quality of boot is fantastic. Quality of the user supplied installation instructions on the web site is a"C+"

When I find out how to adhere the washer to the boot I will supplement.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:14

Below is a picture of the shifter boot as I modified it to allow for the extra material at the seams. About 8 minutes with a dremel (wear eye protection!).

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:14

I had Redline boots in the RX8, too. They look good.

Return to “Interior Modifications”