Upholister help D.I.Y.

Tint, Paint, Lighting, Comfort
gs-panda

Upholister help D.I.Y.

Postby gs-panda » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:14

After I was done vacuuming and steam cleaning all the smoke stains and human slime on the floor and seats, I decided to do the door panels as well and the leather (or plastic) is torn on my both my panels on my fb, and so I want to upholister it myself. Any suggestions on where to find that material?

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:14

Go to an auto upholstery shop and buy your material and see if they will sell you their glue.

Nothing available over the counter will work real well. I gave it a go a few months back. They initially looked great but then started bubbling. I checked in with three different shops after the fact, and they all pretty much new right away exactly how I did it.

Just for reference, I used 3M Super 90. After reading some more descriitpions, if you don't get the commercial adhesive from a shop, you might try the 3M Rubber and Vinyl 80. I will say that stripping off the glue and material I did was insanely time consuming relative to what it cost me to have the 4 doors done by the pros. My total time invested including putting on the material, then tearing it off was around 7 hours. The shop charged me 125.00 although i had the doors pulled for them and ready to go and reassembled myself.

gs-panda

Postby gs-panda » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Go to an auto upholstery shop and buy your material and see if they will sell you there glue.

Nothing available over the counter will work real well. I gave out a go a few months back. They initially looked great but then started bubbling.

sounds like a plan, thanks

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14

There is a shop on S Broadway called BD or B & D. It's about a half mile south of the old Gates rubber factory or where I-25 crosses over broadway. The have material, clips, trim and most off the hard to find hardware for interior work.
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

Return to “Interior Modifications”