Griot's stuff at Advance auto

Detailing tips, Pictures of your ride, Photoshop requests
Huzer

Griot's stuff at Advance auto

Postby Huzer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:14

I had some coupons to spend at Advance Auto, so I picked up some Meguiars clay, Griots Best in Show wax, and Griots Interior cleaner. I already had the Griots All in One Sealant. I decided to forgo the usual plan, and just clayed, sealed, and waxed. The Taco definitely had some paint contaminants that needed some removal.

Don't need to review the clay. It's clay, and it worked.

The sealant is easy to work with. On its own, it doesn't last long (tried that). Heck, it lasted longer than the Meguiars black wax. I tried that out on the Taco after using it on the Focus, and with the truck living outside, it lost all ability to bead in about 1 month. That sucks. Anyway, I used the PC to apply the sealant and removed with a MF towel. It applied easy, removed easily with no streaking/etc, Paint looked good after application.

Best In Show wax looks good and leaves a nice finish. It's easy to work with as well. However it is sensitive to heavy application and heat. I had 2/3 of the truck done before the sun popped back out yesterday and one panel warmed up. It hazed quickly and was hard to remove, but that's not the wax's fault. I did initially put on too heavy of a coat on my first panel application. It also hazes and is difficult to remove if too thick. The main hope is that this wax is durable. I'll report back in a month or so to see if this wax still beads.

Shadowden

Re: Griot's stuff at Advance auto

Postby Shadowden » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:14

What is the consistency of the wax like compared to banana gloss? BG is rather runny and for me, that makes it easy to apply the little amount needed. I'd think a paste like consistency would be easy for me to over apply, then battle to remove.

No Amigo after the sealant?

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:14

I didn't use any Amigo this time around. I just wanted to try the Griot's combo.

The BIS wax has a consistency more in line with some other liquid paste waxes. It's heavier than BG, which I find to have more of a light sealant consistency (if you've used it before, almost like Turtle Wax Ice, which I tried once.) With the heavier consistency, it's easy to apply too much. If you do, it's a bear to remove.

I'd take pictures, but pictures of clean cars look remarkably like clean cars. It does look the best it has since I purchased the truck, though. Paint has a bit more depth to it than it did with the Black Wax stuff.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:14

I never did revisit this thread to report on durability. However, I recently received a new Griot's catalog. Apparently the BIS wax has been reformulated for easier removal. I waxed the Tacoma a week ago, and was careful to not overapply. It came off easily, except in instances I was too aggressive and did too large of an area (oops). Truck looks great, it'll be on the the Grand Cherokee next.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:14

The BIS wax seems good for about 3 months. Hood and roof no longer bead at all. Sides still do somewhat, I'll find something else to give a shot for the winter months.

Return to “Finishing Touches and Detailing”