mazda3, front fender, dent removal advice request

Detailing tips, Pictures of your ride, Photoshop requests
chromal

mazda3, front fender, dent removal advice request

Postby chromal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14

[INDENT]03-06-2011, 02:21 PM - chromal - What Grinds My Gears

Leaving a business and finding new dents and dings on the side fenders or doors of my Mazda3 waiting for me in the parking lot. Twice in the last month. What is wrong with people?[/INDENT]

I was pretty heartbroken about this whole thing, and it's taken me this long to get around to really dealing with it. I park outside the Columbine 'Music Go Round' used instrument store head to head with a big "badass" 4x4 pickup. I come out, the pickup is gone, there are three other cars around the Mazda, and there's a fhuge DENT in the TOP of the driver side front fender. I'm so upset, I actually proceed there in the parking lot to pop the hood and pop the worst of the dent out by reaching in under the hood between the headlight assembly and fender, and pushing it back out.

As it stands now, if you look at the photos, you can see two small dents. The original formed a line between the two and was maybe 1" deep.

I'm just wondering how I can deal with this. The finish still looks good, so I'm hopeful that it might be as simple as removing either the fender liner or front bumper to get access to the backside of the dents, and then just brute force them out with pressure.

Anyone got experience with this sort of thing? How can I restore the smooth gloss lines in the shine and get the last signs of what I assume were a malicious intentional act out of my fender? In the right light, you can't even really see it up close, much less from a distance, but if a long angle of sun hits it and casts them into relief, it's impossible to miss the dents for their shadows.
Attachments
frontleft2.jpg
frontleft1.jpg

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14

You might be able to try the hair dryer and compressed air dent removal method on the first one. Can't tell too much on the second one.
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

Number2

Postby Number2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14

Dents by Hand
http://www.dentsbyhand.com/

They made my car look like new and my dents were worse than yours. All in a matter of minutes.
"Littering, and?..."

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:14

Also, there is another member on here (sadly, he doesn't post anymore, I guess he had some issues with other member(s)). Chance is his name. He had a thread that was bumped recently about some of the paint work he does, and he can also do body repairs (not sure to what extent). My bumper is actually in much worse condition than that, and I sent him pictures and he said he would more than likely be able to fix it. If you find his post (or any of his posts), his phone number is in his signature (only sure fire way to contact him since he doesn't check the forums anymore).
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14

I've not tried it, but I've heard ok things...

You might try the "Paintless Dent/hail damage" crowd.

I saw the Dry Ice thing work too.
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14

Can you get to the back side of the dents? You may be able to work them out with your hands.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14

rx-7 chris wrote:you may be able to work them out with your hands.

twss :)
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

Number2

Postby Number2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:twss :)

noice! Speaking of, Will Ferrel is going to be starting in 'The Office' this week :D

Seriously though, take your car to 'dents by hand' It won't cost you more than 100 bones, and your car will look like new.
"Littering, and?..."

chromal

Postby chromal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:twss :)

hahahaha

chromal

Postby chromal » Mon May 02, 2011 9:14

Number2 wrote:Seriously though, take your car to 'dents by hand'

Thanks for this recommendation-- finally got in touch with them. Turns out, they have an associate in Bailey, CO, who is going to make a house call to help my MZ3 this coming Saturday, barring bad weather (since I've no garage or even awning to park under).

They gave me an extremely reasonable sounding estimate and after speaking with them, I'm both impressed and confident I'll be very happy with the end results. I'll be sure to post a follow up once they are finished, fwiw.

chromal

Pretty much like new, now

Postby chromal » Sat May 07, 2011 9:14

Michael Hand of Dents By Hand had referred me to Mike Dunst of Dent Mirage, a mobile dent remover out of Bailey, CO (he does also work in and around Denver). He treated my MZ3 with the same care and consideration he might an expensive vehicle, and kept at it long after I was completely satisfied with the results. He went at it with a remarkable spirit of patience and persistence.

He came to my house, but found it difficult to work on the white MZ3 under a bright open sky, so we went to his place and, parked in his garage next to his nearly pristine (un-restored) white '65 Chevy Impala, he did impressive work on the fender, as well as three door 'dings.' I cannot recommend him highly enough.
Attachments
_IGP0003.JPG
_IGP0001.JPG
_IGP0002.JPG

Hschlick84

Postby Hschlick84 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:14

Looks good man! I'll keep that address for reference in the future.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]2010 Mazda 3 2.5 S hatchback[/SIZE]

Return to “Finishing Touches and Detailing”