Mmm, gotta love the Porter Cable

Detailing tips, Pictures of your ride, Photoshop requests
Huzer

Mmm, gotta love the Porter Cable

Postby Huzer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14

Fired up the 7424Xp the first time this weekend. I didn't get to my wife's car, but can definitely tell the difference between detailing the wagon by hand, vs detailing with the PC. Quite the time saver, too. For you detailing hounds that don't have a DA polisher yet, get one. It's worth it just in the time saved!

The Restorer Refinisher borrowed from Shadow worked great too. Unfortunately, it's better on the fender flares and side plastic than on the bumpers, as they are 2 different materials. It still looks good, just not as good as the flares. I've contemplated Plastidip on the matte plastics to see how it turns out.

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14

No Fade to Black? No pics?
one and one makes two, together we are free

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14

White always shows nice and clean. I'll take pics of the Murano when I do that, sometime this week.

I'll snap some "after" shots of the wagon tonight and post them up for the 3 people that read the forums.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14

3 people?... shadow...tut....and... ?
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14

Glad it worked. I didn't think about anything being matte.

Curious about the Dual Orbital, can any hack use one, or is it best left to the pros?

I used my cordless drill with an old headlight restoration pad and polishing compound on my wife's wheels on Sunday. That worked great. Still not in great shape, but at least the look like the right material.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Glad it worked. I didn't think about anything being matte.

Curious about the Dual Orbital, can any hack use one, or is it best left to the pros?

I used my cordless drill with an old headlight restoration pad and polishing compound on my wife's wheels on Sunday. That worked great. Still not in great shape, but at least the look like the right material.

The DA (dual action, which is what the Porter Cable is) is very beginner friendly. Much more so than a rotary style one. You barely use any pressure with the DA, as anything more will actually stop the pad from its full action.

Still no good shots of the clean ol' car, though.

Return to “Finishing Touches and Detailing”