Boat advise...

List your for sale, or wanted, items here. Pictures are required for all FS items. Minimum post count of 10 for selling any item.
~Barn~

Boat advise...

Postby ~Barn~ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:14

I don't know much about boats, but apparently this one is in "Excellent" condition. If that is true and it's really been babied, is this a good value for a 12 year old version of the species?

What kind of maintenance records would I want from the seller?

~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

G-Man

Postby G-Man » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:14

Most of my boating was bigger offshore stuff, and a long time ago. Colorado is a great place but the offshore sailing is pretty weak!

I'd say there's a few things to look at here:
1. Engine. Do a compression check, etc., and the usual stuff. Check transmission fluid, etc. Research the specific powertrain for known issues or recalls, etc. At 270hp, it's probably a small block V-8.

2. If you don't know a bunch about fiberglass and fiberglass boats, it's well worth getting a knowledgeable boat mechanic to check it out thoroughly.

3. Like any other used vehicle, definitely check out the current owner. Does s/he give you a good vibe? Seem sleazy? Seem like s/he would take very good care of machines?

For maintenance, I'd want to know about tuneups, replaced parts, oil changes, what was done for winterization and spring launching, etc.

And, of course, invite us all out for a ride! Good luck!

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14

My first thought when asked advice on a boat is DON'T. I enjoyed boating, but the season is short. Boats can be borrowed or rented. I had one (a big one) ready to go when ever I wanted. Used it 15-20 times one summer, mostly at near by Chatfield res. The next summer it got used twice. Sold it the year after that. Kind of like horses, the two best days of ownership is the first and the last.

I know some people who love the boats and the water. Some people use their boats all the time. I was one of those with too many other things going on.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just to think it through.
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14

^^

This is starting to become a common theme from the people that I'm asking about this. Thanks for the feedback guys!
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14

I will only have another boat when I live on water. I loved having mine in the summer, but my front lawn was the lake. I wouldn't own one and deal with towing/storing/dealing with local lottery permits, etc.

Nor would I spend 10k on a "jet ski boat", for lack of a better term. Zero torque in those. Not a good pull boat for any kind of skiing/wakeboarding. Definitely NOT a V8 in that. Those are 2 stroke jet ski engines.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14

~Barn~ wrote:^^

This is starting to become a common theme from the people that I'm asking about this. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yikes, seems as though. I can totally understand why though.

I have a buddy that got a large camper that he pulls with his Suburban. That seems to be his 'family activity'.
one and one makes two, together we are free

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14

~Barn~ wrote:^^

Boats are nice to have. I was tempted to get one now and then but then my logic (responsibility) kicks in...
...I don't have a truck to tow it with
...I don't want to get a truck
...How often am I going to use it each year?
...Do I have space to store it?
...Is it worth spending that much money to just let it sit in the garage most of the time?

Different peeps obviously think differently. If it's worth it to you and you have the cash to spend, I'd say go for it.

My co-worker just bought a jet boat this year similar to the one you're looking at and he and his family loves it... for now at least.
Image Image

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14

ImageImage

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14

ecam8000 wrote:the two best days of ownership is the first and the last.

Ha! That quote was also my first thought when I saw the topic.
IT-Works Computer Services 970-405-4399 http://www.i-t-w.com/
2003 Protege5
91 Protege LX (sold)
90 626 (sold)
90 Protege DX (sold)
81 VW Scirocco FSP autocross car.
SCCA RMSOLO COR region Chief of Safety- ask me about autocross

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14

Ya know how Ford = Found On Road Dead?
Boat = bust out another thousand (dollars)

Ryan95

Postby Ryan95 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14

If it floats, flies or f*cks. Rent it.

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:14

Ryan95 wrote:If it floats, flies or f*cks. Rent it.

Awesome.

[/Thread]
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

Return to “For Sale/Wanted”